Re: When is the "long security lines" myth going to die?

I've "done Delta" at Tampa, and it was bad before 9/11. It is, in my
opinion, clearly a case of the "dreaded infrequent traveller." Those
satellite terminals were always bad news. AC used to fly 747s YYZ-TPA
where the average age was 50+. Absolutely hell on those check-points.

Just did YVR, which is a unique scenario: Cruise ship tourism is UP
over last year, security staff are taking that 20 seconds instead of
five and the US INS and Customs are 'on the hunt.' Everyone seems to
'growl' as they wait in the brief but visibly long security line.
Reality is that previously the choke point was the horribly
understaffed INS desks, but not now. The actual time to proceed through
the gates is in my scientific, though one with many data points, much
less.

The press, for months showed "File" footage that did widely show never
ending snaking lines, and I'm sure folks still think it's like that
still... and I have no hard evidence but plenty of experience (140+
segments/140k+ miles since Oct'01) telling me that it is not the case.

If anything, I'll offer up that it's actual better. Folks are perking
up and removing metallic objects from the pockets prior to going
through the screening machine.

Matthew