Re: When is the "long security lines" myth going to die?

The Canadian debacle has a nice pointed tip on your point.

Canadian Government introduced a $24CAD tax on round-trips, regardless
of the ticket price. $99 Edmonton/Calgary shuttle flights on WestJet
were cut by a significant amount (30%.)

The same government also required that AC continue to service smaller
communities that AC and Canadian served for three years after they were
'permitted' to bail out CP. Many of these smaller routes did feed AC's
mainline flights out of major centers, but they also provided a link
from smaller communities to their nearest major city.

But guess what happened as soon as the 3 years was up, they announced
they were slashing service. Why? $24 in a $140 ticket from small-town
Quebec to Montreal is a lot of money, so customer's were driving or not
going. In many cases the pax connecting through YUL to points beyond (a
US style feeder network) couldn't sustain the service.

Flights between Seattle and Vancouver have greatly reduced on AC and
UA. Alaska has picked up quite of bit of the slack (to serve their
expanding SEA based hub), but not all of it. Oddly, it's convenient
schedules that make many of the mainline airlines appealing for
travelers, but it's now a case of deadly economics.

Matthew