Round Engines

If anyone on the list is a fan of big round radial engines, today I was
spending a restful day at a Benedictine abbey on Lake Memphramagog, which is
near here, and I heard the unmistakable sound of large, very large, piston
radial engines, and at low altitude!

To my surprise a CL215 water bomber along with its newer CL415 turboprop,
were doing water scoops on the lake.  I don't know if it was practise or to
put out a wildfire somewhere (it's been horribly hot, dusty and dry here),
but it was quite a show.  At one point I was in the abbey church and I
thought the 215 was going to come through the roof, he was so loud!  One of
the monks invited me up the abbey tower to watch them but alas, the show was
over by the time we got up there.  There was another  monk up there watching
though.  Turns out he has a PPL (airplanes) and CPL (helicopters), and after
all that ended up as a Benedictine monk...go figure!

I digress though:  nothing beats the deep pounding sound of large round
engines! (well, except maybe for the monks' Gregorian chant).

Mike Gammon