Re: ATC Question

Mark Greenwood <mgreenwood@telus.net> asks
> There is a piece in this month's Air Transport World that NAV Canada is
> going to implement RVSM between 29,000 and 41,000 ft.  Can any of the
> air traffic controllers on the list enlighten me as to what RVSM is?

RVSM = Reduced Vertical Separation Minima

It's a plan to reduce the required minimum separation from 2,000 feet to 1,000
feet (this is from memory, so I won't swear to the actual numbers), so that more
aircraft can use a specific bit of airspace at a time. It requires more accurate
and reliable altimeters to ensure that assigned levels are respected. RVSM has
already been implemented over Europe.

Best regards,
Stefano Pagiola
Environment Department, The World Bank, Mail Stop MC5-511
1818 H Str NW, Washington DC 20433, USA
Tel. 202-458-2997 Fax 202-522-1735, E-Mail spagiola@worldbank.org
Web site: http://www-esd.worldbank.org/eei