Re: Affect on AA

Assuming, as is reasonable, that UA wasn't going away, but just using
chapter 11 to shed onerous leases, contracts and the like, I wouldn't
expect there to be a huge near term effect on the other players. A chapter
11 UAL might well shed capacity in some markets, but I'd be hard pressed
to imagine UAL ceeding their hub positions at DEN, ORD or thier strong
focus at SFO.

That said, one should notice that AA's latest moves clearly focus on
keeping AMR well positioned to distinguish itself as the largest network
carrier, and the most liquid. That should place AMR in a good position to
exploit any opportunities which may emerge as USAirways, United and others
weather the current storm. I'd hate to have to stand by and watch as AMR
consolidated its position whileI struggled through a chapter 11
restructuring.

- David