Re: If Baha and I lost....

At 09:07 AM 8/13/2002 -0400, Gerard M Foley wrote:
>I am sympathetic to Baja's worries about targeting Middle Easterners, but
>I am also sympathetic to the woman who had to drink her breast milk.  It
>is absurd to examine everyone, but equally absurd to examine no one.  We
>have a problem.  I don't think we have found good answers to it.

Similarly, it is absurd that anyone should be examined all the time, but it
is also dangerous and absurd if there is some predictable subset of the
population that never gets examined.

The woman who had to drink her breast milk isn't relevant to this topic,
unless you'd say that some women should have to drink their breast milk,
but not others. Same for the woman with the GI Joe doll and the ever so
dangerous 2" gun. That's not about racial profiling; that's about security
screeners being horrified at the thought of letting anything through that
they might later be blamed for.

But all of us should be at some "risk" of being subjected to extra
scrutiny, or else we become the preferred dupes and mules of those we
really fear (if they exist).

Nick