Re: NYTimes.com Article: Doomed Planes Tried to Avoid Collison

Hi Al,

They should still use strips as a written record of all the instructions
given to the acft but I'm not sure what format they take. Over here,
procedural sectors had bays corresponding to mandatory reporting points
with a strip for each acft due to report at that point. The level and
estimate was used to alert the controller to conflictions. We now use
electronic strips and I'm not sure how they work as far as conflict
alert is concerned on a radar sector. There is an electronic conflict
alert system which flashes the acft paints a different colour and sounds
an aural alarm but I believe this was deactivated or not working in this
case.

Grant
SYD
QF