SF Gate: Airline price war may add to losses

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2002/07=
/20/BU188762.DTL
Saturday, July 20, 2002 (SF Chronicle)
Airline price war may add to losses
Chronicle Staff and News Services

   United Airlines, American Airlines and other major U.S. carriers have
slashed fares as much as 40 percent to lure travelers, a move that may
aggravate industry losses that exceeded $1.4 billion in the second
quarter.
   US Airways Group Inc., which is trying to stave off a bankruptcy filing,
started the sale Thursday on domestic and some international fares. The
four largest U.S. carriers -- American, United, Delta Air Lines Inc. and
Northwest Airlines Corp. -- followed suit, said Tom Parsons, chief
executive officer of Bestfares.com, which monitors ticket prices.
   "We're seeing the airlines right now going into what we're calling panic
mode." Parsons said. "They're bringing out every carrot."
   "They are really caught between a rock and a hard place," said Daniel
Kasper, airline economist at LECG LLC, a legal and economic consulting
group. "They've got a lot of capacity out there that was built up at a
time when demand was higher."
   A round-trip flight on United between San Francisco and Los Angeles is on
sale for $136, down from $154. United is the largest carrier at San
Francisco International Airport, accounting for about half of the flights
and passenger traffic.
   United's parent company on Friday reported a $341 million second-quarter
loss and warned it will suffer for the remainder of the year. It was the
company's eighth straight quarter of losses.
   "This second-quarter loss demonstrates clearly that United continues to
suffer from the weak revenue environment since Sept. 11. The
month-to-month improvements we've seen so far this year have stalled,"
said Jack Creighton, chairman and chief executive officer.
   The nation's No. 2 carrier lost $6.08 per share in the second quarter,
compared to $6.87 per share, or $365 million, for the same period last
year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial/First Call had estimated the
company would lose $7.13 per share.
   United's loss excluded a net tax of $51 million the company received und=
er
the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act.
   United officials blamed the company's troubles on the persistent lull in
corporate travel and on low-cost airlines, whose cheaper ticket prices
have forced the nation's largest airlines to slash their own fares to
remain competitive.
   "Clearly (discount airlines) have a negative effect on our revenue becau=
se
we do match their fares and it brings down our average yields," said Jake
Brace, chief financial officer.
   United is burning through cash at a daily rate of nearly $1 million,
compared with losing $5 million a day in the first quarter.
   United hopes federal loan assistance will help stabilize the company. La=
st
month, the company asked the Air Transportation Stabilization Board to
back 90 percent of a $2 billion private loan. The government made $10
billion in loan guarantees available to airlines that could meet stringent
financial criteria as part of the airline bailout package approved by
Congress last fall.=20
Copyright 2002 SF Chronicle