Re: SF Gate: United plans to track users of 'back-to-back' tickets

United=B9s Contract of Carriage is fairly explict (copied below.)

Other carriers embed their =8Cno-back-to-back=B9 in their =B3fraudulent intent=B9
clause; book a flight you don=B9t plan to use constitutes fraudulent intent
and is in violation of your Contract of Carriage.

The president of a company I used to work for used to commute YYZ-MSP every
week. The flights were almost always sold-out, his schedule always changing=
,
so the travel agent (Carlson Wagonlit) used to book multiple reservations o=
Friday afternoon (i.e the 4pm, 5:30pm and 7pm flights) and cancel the ones
he wasn=B9t going to take. Since they were all full-fare refundable, there wa=
merely a minor paperwork issue on the agent=B9s side, but of course it sent A=
through conniptions. AC=B9s process for dealing with no-shows on day of
departure is atrocious (so bad that frequent AC travelers know that AC=B9s
process solution won=B9t even permit standby=B9s unless you are on basically a
full Y fare... Even though subsequent flights in the day, including the pax
who wants to fly standby, are oversold.)

AC caught on, called him (and the agent) on the fraudulent intent clause an=
his reservations were summarily cancelled. He said fine, and traveled
Northwest every week for the subsequent two years. (At $2k a week, a good
chunk of change.) I don=B9t believe he ever traveled AC again.

Airlines may talk big, but they know what side their bread is buttered on.

Matthew

http://www.ual.com/site/primary/0,10017,2743,00.html

C) USE OF COUPONS FROM TWO OR MORE TICKETS ISSUED AT ROUND TRIP FARES FOR
THE
PURPOSE OF CIRCUMVENTING APPLICABLE -TARIFF RULES (SUCH AS ADVANCE
PURCHASE/MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENT) IS NOT PERMITTED. UA AGENTS AND
AUTHORIZED
TRAVEL AGENTS ARE PROHIBITED FROM ISSUING TICKETS, COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS
"BACK TICKETING," UNDER SUCH CIRCUMSTANCE WHEN THERE IS OBVIOUS INTENT TO
ABUSE AND/OR MISUSE RESTRICTED ROUND TRIP FARES. AGENTS FOUND ISSUING SUCH
TICKETS MAY BE LIABLE FOR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE PAID AND THE FARE
FOR TRANSPORTATION USED. UA HAS THE RIGHT TO DENY TRANSPORTATION TO
PASSENGERS FOUND UTILIZING TICKETS IN THIS MANNER, UNLESS THE DIFFERENCE
BETWEEN THE FARE PAID AND THE FARE FOR TRANSPORTATION USED IS COLLECTED.