UA Questions/Upcoming Trip

Am flying FWA-ORD-LAX-PSP (return: PSP-LAS-ORD-FWA) in early August aboard
UA.

Questions...

1. There appears to be a bus system at ORD
(http://www.ohare.com/ohare/parking/parking_ats.shtm) that would get us from
Terminal 2 (F gates, where our FWA flight arrives) to Terminal 1 (B/C) where
our LAX flight departs.  Comments?  We have 55 minutes between those two
flights...

1A. My fiance flew UA last week and sat in the plane on the tarmac for 60
minutes while a gate was emptied.  I'm familar with "ATC delays", "weather
delays", and "mechanical delays" - of which, this scenario doesn't fit any.
While I'm not as concerned with ORD-LAX-PSP, I am concerned about the return
flight, as another 55 minute layover greets us, and that UA/ACA connecting
flight from ORD-FWA is the last UA flight of the day.  If we missed the
UA/ACA connecting flight to FWA, and the AE (American Eagle) flight was
full, that left an hour later, what would UA do in that scenario?

2. I've never been through LAX.  With a 1 hr. 20 min. connection, I should
make it easily, but if our plane lands in Terminals 6 or 8, how do I get to
7 (The UA/Skywest area)?  Is it just a walk-around, or are shuttle buses the
norm?

3. Anything else I should know about?

- Blaine