NYTimes.com Article: Putting Cars and Trains Up Against the Airlines

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Putting Cars and Trains Up Against the Airlines

July 2, 2002
By JOE SHARKEY

SAN DIEGO -- I've tried driving to avoid this," a
businessman from Tucson told my wife as Southwest Airlines
customers herded themselves toward Flight 1761, bound for
Tucson, 400 miles away. "This" was the milling mob at San
Diego International Airport preparing for the dash onto the
plane to claim a seat, while loudspeakers barked competing
flight announcements into the din.

"But there's no question that flying to Tucson is easier
than driving," noted the businessman, who didn't want to
give his name but said he owned a company that made medical
and other products for diabetics. "Once you get past that
first hour out of San Diego, out of the mountains, there's
just a bunch of nothing all the way to Tucson," he
explained to her.

I can attest to the accuracy of this observation because I
was at the same moment pushing east out of San Diego in a
rented car on Interstate 8, with the mountains ahead and
the desert beyond. The man turned out to be quite right.
Once I finally emerged from those mountains, there was
literally a bunch of nothing all the way to Tucson.

After the chaotic summer of airline delays in 2000, and the
airport problems that developed in the months after Sept.
11, business travelers throughout the country say they have
sometimes opted to drive, or take a train if available, on
trips of about 150 to 400 miles that they used to make
exclusively by airplane.

The advantages of driving or taking the train between
various points on the northeastern United States urban
corridor are readily apparent. But it's a little more
complicated out West, as my wife and I found when we both
recently had business trips to Southern California, with a
short diversion to Arizona, and then back to San Diego.

She flew to Tucson on Southwest. The one-way fare was
$54.50. I asked her to keep a brief diary of the trip, as I
set off on the same route by rental car. We both left the
hotel in San Diego at about 3:50 p.m.

Her notes read in part: "4:30 p.m., arrive at airport; 6:20
p.m., plane takes off. We have a great view of the harbor,
the mountains and the dunes in the desert near Yuma."

At 4:30, I was still pushing east through the rush hour out
of San Diego on Interstate 8, with the traffic reporter on
the local jazz station, KSDS, moaning helplessly that
"traffic is just horrible all over." There was a visual
hint of mountains through the soupy haze to the east.

By the time my wife's Southwest plane departed, I had
watched the suburbs buffering the Interstate give way to
the mountains, and then to the desert and the vast,
sun-blasted Imperial Valley. The speed limit was by now 75
miles an hour. Every radio station on the dial seemed to
specialize in all mariachi, all the time. Fortified by a
sound wall of happy trumpets, I opened the window for some
Sonora desert air, which rushed like a belch from a
Bessemer furnace.

At about 7 p.m., beyond the expansive Sahara-like Imperial
sand dunes that ought to be marked with a sign saying "Last
Interesting Thing to Look at Before Tucson," the Arizona
state border signs rushed into sight across the tiny
Colorado River, which the Interstate bridged without a
glance.

At 7:30, over a quick dinner at a Carl's Jr. fast-food
joint in somnambulant Yuma, Ariz., where the temperature
remained at 100 degrees despite the time of day, I perused
The Yuma Sun, whose weather page reported that the next day
would be "sunny and warm," with a high of 105. Back on the
Interstate, where a road sign announced that Tucson was
still 225 miles away, I wondered idly what kind of day it
must take to get The Yuma Sun to use the word "hot." The
empty desert stretched endlessly ahead in lengthening
shadow.

My wife's just-the-facts diary will serve to cut to the
chase: "7:20 p.m., land at Tucson airport," she wrote.
"8:30 p.m., check in at hotel; 8:55 p.m., beer and snack;
9:20 p.m., relax in room watching TV; 11:20 P.M., husband
arrives."

So the airplane wins that one.

A week later, now traveling alone, I tried a more
even-money match, this one between train and car on a
business trip from San Diego to Los Angeles.

"The train is by far the way to go; have a look," said
Denise Jones, a business consultant who was working at her
laptop in the dome car of the Pacific Surfliner, the train
between San Diego and San Luis Obispo operated by Amtrak in
partnership with the State of California.

She gestured toward traffic that was slowing in the morning
rush on Interstate 5, the main highway to Los Angeles. The
Surfliner lives up to its name only on parts of the trip,
where it hugs the Pacific Ocean. Surfers can be seen riding
the waves. On the other parts, it runs beside the
Interstate.

Even with seven stops between the Santa Fe Depot in San
Diego and Union Station in Los Angeles, the train takes 2
hours and 45 minutes. Cars on the congested highway don't
keep pace.

The Surfliner, which rail planners hope will one day be
upgraded to accommodate high-speed service, makes 11 daily
round trips between San Diego and Los Angeles and carries
more than a million passengers a year, making it Amtrak's
second most popular rail line after the Northeast Corridor.
The regular round-trip fare is $54. An extra $22 buys a
round-trip upgrade to business class.

Ms. Jones said that she was headed to Burbank, which can be
as much as a 90-minute drive from downtown. There is a
car-rental counter at Union Station, but she said she was
sticking to the rails.

"You'd be crazy to drive," she said, uttering a sentence
that not very long ago would have itself sounded crazy in
Southern California. "At Union Station, I hop on the Metro
Red Line, a subway that goes out all the way through the
hills to the Valley. And I'm in Burbank in half an hour
after I get off the train."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/02/business/02ROAD.html?ex=1026713579&ei=1&en=ad58a7e8bc8fede1

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company