Re: United Air flight attendants reject wage cuts

Greg,
You've asked an intersting question, as golden geese have died before.
There are a whole lot of issues in this (including the ones already
raised), and some I don't know the answers to -- what has happened to
staffing levels (pax per F/A), benefits packages (health insurance,
retirement, etc.)?

A more basic question is whether United really is a golden goose, and
then, if it is, who/what is killling it. It claims that it is not making
money hand over fist, and I have no way of disputing that. Killing the
golden goose invloved making a use of it (a meal) different than what
made it profitable (lying golden eggs).

Here is an airline that wanted to merge with US Airways.  That shows that
the goose may have already had a lobotomy. It had the United Shuttle as an
attempt to compete with Southwest on the west coast -- not a bad idea, but
they chose SFO as its hub, an airport wth one of the worst delay records
around. Then United Business Jets (or whatever). Then their "regional"
"partners" have been awful in places -- I used to fly United to South Bend
but switched to American because United Express was so awful (then the ATR
made me switch to Delta & Northwest).

United has tried to fill planes to the bursting point (like other
airlines), but it has never asked itself what is the optimal load its
system (planes, machinists, terminals, etc.) can handle.

If the "golden" goose dies, I think the F/A's won't be the culprit.

Greg, you may be right in the ease of replacing F/A's, or you may be
wrong. What has not been replaced has been the pax. I don't know about
machinists, but there are furlouged pilots out there, and plenty regional
airline pilots who would be willing to fly for United.

These are just my two cents.

A fan of United returning to what it once was.

john

--
John F. Kurtzke, C.S.C.
Department of Mathematics