Caribbean Star Airline to stay on dismal Tobago route

Tobago Express, June 7, 2002

Tobago has been described as one of the most unsuccessful routes in the
rapidly growing network of the Barbados based regional air carrier
Caribbean Star Airlines. Chief Executive Officer of Caribbean Star Paul
Moreira, pointed this out at a press conference held to announce a
strategic partnership alliance with US Airways, reputed to be an airline
giant on the eastern seaboard of America, at the Le Grand Courlan Hotel
last Tuesday. He however gave the assurance that despite the dismal
performance of the Tobago route in the six months of service to the island,
the airline would not abandon the market.  "Tobago has been running on an
average of 20 per cent load factor but while most carriers in the past have
started and have left, we are committed to the product of your island and
we would not leave," insisted Moreira.
Caribbean Star, according to Moreira, which began its air services within
the regional market just over eighteen months ago, has been able to
increase its market share from a low 10 to 15 per cent to between 45 and 70
per cent, to 14 destinations in the region.  "We have seen phenomenal
growth of approximately 200 per cent in the number of passengers that we
carry," he revealed.

Moreira attributed this tremendous growth, which he said was achieved in
very short order, to the service levels and pricing strategies of the
airline. "We have seen some great, great growth in terms of the local
traffic in stimulating business to the wonderful events that we have
throughout the region," he said.  Moreira stated that it was the goal of
the airline to unite the Caribbean.  "When we talk about uniting the
Caribbean and the free movement of people and goods throughout the region,
the key is to have an affordable, reliable and accessible air
transportation throughout our region. For the fourteen island destinations,
this is just one step in a five-year vision," he disclosed.  The next step,
in our strategy, is to develop alliances with strong, high quality US
carriers. Moreira identified US Airways as its first partner in developing
a relationship to bring more wealth into the Caribbean.  "There are new
markets from a tourism perspective that we can tap into now," he
declared.  "Imagine the power now of tapping into that frequent flier
programme of US
Airways and having all those individuals now with an access to Tobago,
where they can redeem their points by coming to the island and then they
could go and tell ten other friends about their wonderful experiences
here," he argued.

Moreira expressed optimism about the alliance between US Airways and
Caribbean Star in turning the performance of the Tobago route around.  "We
had some very fruitful discussions with the Tobago House of Assembly (THA)
and the Hotel Association today and they have been very supportive to the
vision of the opportunities to stimulate business and to develop more
partnerships with governments and the private sector," he remarked.  "There
are opportunities, if we forge the right partnerships to stimulate some
business both inter regionally and from the key international markets,"
added Moreira.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBSC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Robbie Greenidge) http://www.steeldrumband.net/greenidge/
(Robert Greenidge - Pan Arranger/Composer/Player)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt