Re: U.S. Won't Allow Guns in Cockpits

Jan Broe wrote:

> David Ross wrote:
>
>>One last word on this then I'll leave it, too.
>>Australia banned guns, crime shot up (no pun intended).
>>

> The nice thing about statistics is that you can always find something that
> will prove your point...
>
> Here in Denmark guns have been banned ever since they were invented (or some
> time just about then), and I'm sorry to report that in this well-developed
> country (our standard of living is higher than both Australia and the United
> States by all accepted international ways of measurement) we have very
> little crime compared to these two countries, and of a much 'milder' nature.

The Human Development Index (HDI), arguably the most authoritative of
living standards measurements, is published annually by the UN. It
ranks nations according to their citizens' quality of life rather than
strictly by a nation's traditional economic figures. The criteria for
calculating rankings include life expectancy, adult literacy, school
enrollment, educational attainment, and per capita GDP.  The latest
rankings (for 2001) are as follows:

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Canada
4. Sweden
5. Belgium
6. USA
7. Iceland
8. Netherlands
9. Japan
10. Finland

Denmark came in at 15. Sorry Jan, but we've got more sunshine and better
beaches too ;-)   Come down under and see for yourself.

Grant
SYD
QF