United CEO wants wage concessions before departure

By Kathy Fieweger

CHICAGO, May 7 (Reuters) - Jack Creighton, the outgoing chief executive of
United Airlines, said on Tuesday he intends to complete a plan to win wage
concessions from labor groups before he departs but offered no specific
timetable.

Creighton, who came on board United as interim CEO in October after his
predecessor was ousted by angry labor unions, last week said he would step
down once his replacement was found. That process is expected to take six
months or more, according to industry experts, as an external search is
conducted.

United, the second-largest U.S. airline and a unit of UAL Corp. (UAL), is
losing billions of dollars as demand for air travel, especially high-priced
business tickets, remains weak. It wants to cut labor costs, which are about
40 percent of total expenses, to help turn itself around.

The airline also hopes to have a good idea of where it stands on the wage
concessions talks as the looming deadline to file for federal loan
guarantees approaches, executives said in an interview at the Elk Grove
Village, Illinois headquarters.

The airline this spring agreed to industry-leading contracts for two
different bargaining units of the International Association of Machinists.
One contract has been ratified by rank-and-file mechanics, and another is up
for a vote on Friday by ramp and reservation workers.

The IAM, United's largest union, has said it will not participate in
concession talks until all contracts are in place. And even then, its
willingness to entertain such requests is questionable. Pilots, represented
by the Air Line Pilots Association, have agreed to talk to management but so
far, flight attendants say no deal. Employees excluding flight attendants
own 55 percent of United following a 1994 Employee Stock Ownership Plan.

"We have to engage the IAM very quickly, and it's my feeling that I don't
want to take 'No' for an answer from the flight attendants," Creighton said.

THE POINT MEN

"Jake and I are the point men on this recovery plan," he added, referring to
Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace. Creighton and Brace declined to say when
the airline would lay out specifics on the cuts they want.

The capital markets are still available for financing at United if
necessary, leaving the loan guarantee question as yet unanswered. Brace has
said the airline may apply for the guarantees to private sector loans that
were part of the landmark bailout act passed after the Sept. 11 attacks on
New York and Washington.

But he has also has said United would prefer not to turn down such an
avenue.

Asked on Tuesday whether United would apply for the loan guarantees,
Creighton, "We're maintaining a flexible position on that."

Brace said: "We know that the deadline (for loan guarantee applications) as
it stands right now is June 28. The effective deadline is actually going to
be a couple of weeks ahead of that, because we want to have enough time to
get an application in and have a little give and take with the (Airline
Transportation Stabilization) board should we decide to go that way. So
we're really targeting something closer to the middle of June."

UAL reported a first-quarter net loss of $510 million on top of a record
$2.1 billion net loss in 2001 as air travel demand remains below year-ago
levels. As of the first quarter, $5 million in cash was still going out the
door every day than was coming in, and management wants all employees to
give wage concessions to help the airline recover.

Brace said the plan would not one-size-fits-all.

"We obviously need to be mindful of how one group's discussions compare to
the other group's discussions. We are not saying, 'Here is the plan, sign on
the dotted line.' We are trying to work through each group's individual
issues--the challenges that they need addressed."

©2002 Reuters Limited.