Re: If I ran United...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Greenwood" <mgreenwood@telus.net>
To: <AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 02:37
Subject: Re: If I ran United...

> Steven Catron wrote:

Just demonstrating that the general principle exists elsewhere.

> Microsoft earns revenue from advertising or have you
> never experienced those annoying pop up windows?
Actually, no, I haven't.

But FC does earn revenue for the airlines....paid fares, paid upgrades,
and mileage redemptions.

> > I don't hate first class.  I
> > > just think the airlines would make a hell of a lot more money if
they
> > forced
> > > people to pay for their premium product instead of giving it away.
> > Uh, they're already charging what used to be FC rates for Y these days
(or
> > at least before mid-2001).
>
> And if you pay full Y you get First Class on a lot of airlines.
Northwest's
> YUP fares spring to mind.
Exactly my point.  So are we agreeing after all?  :-)

> >   I don't
> > > have a problem with an airline upgrading someone who flies 200,000
miles
> > if
> > > the back is oversold and they need upgrades.  Upgrading someone from
> > $299
> > > fare to $2999 fare just for the sake of it is equally absurd.
> > If it's unsold, then the value of the seat is otherwise zero.  $2999
was
> > just wishful thinking...
> A seat is going to go empty either way, if they don't upgrade that seat
is at
> the front of the bus, if they do it's empty at the back.
Not necessarily.  If they upgrade several days in advance, last minute
corporate travelers who are ineligible for J-fares can purchase the empty
Y seats at full price.

> Filling that First Class Seat costs them more money.
Costs are greater, but apparently so are the revenues, and by a larger
margin.

> I have seen cases of
> full F passengers been downgraded because the First Class cabin is full
of
> upgrades or flights not even being available for someone who is willing
to pay
> for FC because it's full of upgrades.
Poor upgrade policies on one airline's part is no reason to throw out the
baby with the bathwater.

> > > I think your analogy of all of the airlines agreeing to do something
and
> > > then one of them not doing it is flawed.  Someone who is a 2K with
> > United is
> > > not all of a sudden going to start flying Delta just because Delta
> > offers
> > > First Class.
> > In a heartbeat.  I've seen top platinums on CO abandon the company
because
> > of Gordon Bethune's stating one thing and promptly doing another.
Think
> > they would hesitate for a second if CO dropped FC and DL didn't?
>
> Those were probably few and far between, the majority of people are not
going
> to abandon hundred of thousands of frequent flier miles and start from
> scratch.
I'd be willing to bet 50% - 75% of upgrade eligible FFs with average
segment lengths over 1 - 1.5 hours would switch immediately.  It might be
interesting if you were to try a poll on that subject over on
www.flyertalk.com sometime.

> You don't think TAs buy the tickets?  TAs buy them on behalf of the
customer
> and if the customer doesn't have a preference for carrier you can be
damned
> sure that it's the travel agent who is deciding what airline the
passenger
> travels on.
General travel, yes.  Corporate travel?  More likely either the passenger
or the company will dictate the choice of carrier.