Air Astana

This new airline which was announced some time ago by the Kazakhstan
Government, to take over the domestic routes of Air Kazakhstan (formerly Air
Kazakstan) has just had it's first 737-800 rolled out in it's livery. Photo
at:

http://justplanes.net/images/welcome800.jpg

Having a look at the Air Astana website at www.air-astana.kz, I got a very
different picture from that which the Kazakh government was portraying for
the airline only as long as six months ago.

Back then it was said that Air Astana would be operating domestic and
regional flights from Air Kazakhstan's network. I was led to understand that
these routes were to be the routes which are currently not very profitable
for Air Kaz. Now having a look at the website, I see Almaty, Astana, Aktau
and Aktobe being the only destinations. No mention of flights to
neighbouring Central Asian destinations.

What surprises me is that if these routes are so unprofitable for Air Kaz
under current economic conditions, why on earth has Air Astana taking
delivery of 3 737-700/800s? Surely the lease payments on these aircraft are
going to be huge as to what can actually be afforded?

On the first Air Astana website at http://www.air-astana.com you see an
Airbus A300 being pictured on there. At least they didn't actually think
they could fill an A300 on the Almaty-Astana or Aktau-Aktobe routes ;-)

Then the question needs to be asked....what does this mean for Air
Kazakhstan? The airline is practically bankrupt, and has been in trouble for
quite some time. Could we see Air Kazakhstan go the same way that Air
Ukraine seems to have gone in their marketplace (with Aerosvit and Ukraine
International)?

The one up side for Air Astana is that they have a "westerner" at the helm
of the operations. Not for one minute saying that a Kazakh would not be able
to do the job, but there is less chance of corruption (which would have been
no doubt endemic at Air Kazakhstan) if the person is taken from outside that
sphere.

Also, one thing I have been trying to find out, is who on earth are the
shareholders? Is it 100% Kazakh government owned?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Scotty