  From: B787300@aol.com=20
  To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU=20
  Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 12:19 AM
  Subject: Re: improving air travel

  The author has some valid points but he's is dead wrong on a couple of =
items.

  The congestion that he mentions is caused by most of the airlines all =
trying
  to fly at the same time instead of spreading out their flights more =
evenly
  throughout the day.  There are times at MIA when there isn't a vacant
  international gate (because American has domestic flights on =
international
  gates in order to make their hub work) and other times during the day =
when
  virtually all the gates are empty long enough for numerous flights =
with
  normal turnaround times.  If that someone was Southwest you could =
probably
  have 4 or 5 back to back turnarounds on one gate.  Southwest averages
  something like 10 to 12 turnaround flights per gate per day at FLL.  =
Average
  gate utilization at MIA is something like 3.something or 4.something =
flights
  daily depending on the concourse.  It's isn't the government's fault, =
or the
  fault of airports,  that virtually every airline schedules 1 to 5 hour
  turnaround times on a gate.  Someday, hopefully, some of these =
airlines will
  absorb the Southwest line of thinking that their aircraft only make =
money
  while flying, not while sitting on the ground hogging a valuable gate =
and
  creating gate shortages for other aircraft that are arriving or need =
  return for some reason.

  The writer's comment on airports not having enough space for lines of
  passengers at ticket counters is inaccurate.  Airlines usually decide =
how
  many ticket counter positions they want when they lease from the =
airport and
  then inadequately staff the counters to create long lines.  I've stood =
in
  line many times to buy a ticket and one of the first things I notice =
is that
  the airline has 8 ticket counter positions and 3 people working, or 20
  positions and 10 people working.  So what if there are 30 people in =
line and
  some folks are going to miss their flights?  Add ticket counter =
personnel?
  That's too expensive!  Some airlines lease more counter space than =
they need
  to put the hurts on competitors who would like more space.

  The comment about the pilot apologizing and the writer's opinion that =
he must
  have thought he would get in trouble for blaming the the airport or =
air
  traffic control system is absurd.  I've heard numerous reports of AA =
pilots
  blaming "Dade County" on the aircraft intercom at MIA because they had =
  hold for a gate, when in fact AA was given preferential usage of 47 =
gates
  virtually all day long and they did their own gate planning that =
caused the
  lack of gates.  AA preferred to leave dead airplanes on gates and foul =
up the
  works than have them towed off to a remote parking position.  This is =
the
  airport's fault?  What BS....

  The writer makes a statement that the lack of gates at government =
airports
  prevents startup carriers from starting service.  The US DOT monitors =
this
  situation at commercial airports nationwide and I don't believe it to =
be a
  major problem at most airports.  It's not a problem at all if the =
startup
  airline avoids peak existing operational times since scads of gates =
are
  available then.  In addition, more and more airports are taking back =
control
  of their gates instead of leasing them to airline "x" for 20 years and
  airline "y" for 30 years.  Thanks to MIA airport director Dick Judy, =
who
  could foresee the impacts of airline deregulation on airports, MIA =
started
  controlling approximately 22 gates in 1977 and took total control of =
various
  concourses over the years as the long-term airline leases expired.  =
The
  airport controlled all gates at MIA by 1991 when Eastern died and the =
airport
  will control all gates in the future.  MIA replaced all the =
airline-owned
  jetbridges and airlines pay for their usage and concourse fees on a =
flight by
  flight basis.  This policy has allowed countless new airlines (most of =
the
  deregulation startups and failures) to start service at MIA, usually =
whenever
  the airline desired to operate.

  Jose Prize
  Fan of the truth once in a while

HREF=3D"mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU";>AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU</A>
  > Sent from the Internet
  >
  > I see another well informed individual voicing an opinion.  Remember
  > opinions are like ******** every one has one.
  >
  > At least folks who post here have an opportunity to voice their
  > opinion/expertise and explain it.  I love one way communications.
  >
  > This article gives the appearance that the authors experience goes =
as far
  > as the "Admirals Club".  Pardon AAL for use of your name.
  >
  > Al
  >   ----- Original Message -----=3D20

Traffic
  > Controller system.
  >
  > Prior to Sept. 11, the airlines kept offering cheaper and cheaper =
fares,
  > the demand for air travel kept increasing and increasing, the =
airlines'
  > inventory of planes and employees kept growing and growing, while =
the
  > airports and air traffic control system became more and more out of =
date.

  > The government-owned airports are always so far behind the curve =
that
  > there's never enough room at the ticket counters to process =
passenger
  > volume quickly, never an efficient baggage system, never enough =
gates
  > available to handle all the planes.
  >
  > And those flight delays? When they're not caused by the weather, =
they
  > almost always are caused by a federal traffic control system that =
operates
  > with ancient
  > computers and typical bureaucratic inefficiency.

  Taking the blame
     But who gets blamed for all these problems?

  > The airlines, of course.
  >
  > Two years ago my wife and I boarded a plane at LaGuardia Airport to =
go to
  > Atlanta. The plane left the gate on time, but we got no further than =
the
  > runway. The control
  > tower held the plane on the LaGuardia runway for four and a half =
hours.

  > Why? Because the traffic control system was overloaded and planes =
were
  > backed up arriving at Atlanta airport.

     So why didn't the plane simply go back to the gate and>  let us =
wait inside
  > the airport? Because there were no available gates at the overloaded
  > airport.
  >
  > The pilot was on the Intercom apologizing profusely for the delay as =
though
  > it were the airline's fault. It was almost as though he thought he'd =
be
  > punished if he said
  > anything bad about the airports or the air traffic control system.
  >
  > And the airline paid for an Atlanta hotel room for the  night =
(because we
  > missed our connection to California), even though the airline wasn't
  > responsible.
  >
  > Making a bad situation worse

  Since the sad state of air travel today is primarily the>  fault of
> [...]
when a
  > flight is more than two hours late. Presumably, that will "send a =
message"
  > to the airlines that they should make government more efficient.
  >
  > Public relations
  >
  > The biggest failing of the airlines themselves is probably poor =
training in
  > public relations.
  >
  > Not only do their employees too often apologize for problems that =
aren't
  > their fault, the employees don't show empathy when it really is =
called for.
  > They apologize inappropriately in a collective way, but they too =
seldom
  > apologize in a personal way.  When you wait forever in line at the =
ticket
  > counter, rarely does the ticket agent say, "I'm sorry you had to =
wait so
  > long." When you can't get the seat selection you ask for, you don't =
hear,
  > "I'm sorry we can't accommodate
  > you." When your baggage is lost or late getting rerouted back to =
you, no
  > one says, "I'm sorry you've had to put  up with this."
  >
  > An airline employee needs to learn only two simple lessons: 1) No =
one likes
  > to be inconvenienced, and 2) when inconvenienced, anyone will feel a =
lot
  > better if
  > you just show a little sympathy. It amazes me that, in such a =
"people"
  > business, I'm not aware of any airline whose ground personnel are
  > noticeably well-trained in
  > public relations. (Southwest is probably the best I've seen, and the
  > telephone reservation clerks for most airlines seem very =
well-trained.)

  > I said 75 percent of the air-travel problems are really government
  > problems. Probably most of the other 25 percent would be reduced
  > considerably if new competitors could come into the market and =
pressure
  > existing airlines to improve their public-relations skills. But a =
lack of
  > gates at the government airports makes it
  > virtually impossible for a new airline to get started.
  > Solving the problems
  >
  > It would take a separate article to explore all the possible =
improvements,
  > but two general remedies are obvious:
  >
  > Cities and counties should sell their airports to private companies =
and
  > make it easier for competing airports to open within each city.
  >
  > The federal government should get completely out of air traffic =
control.
  > Let the airlines operate the system, modernize it, and make it =
efficient.
  > Let's make air travel fun again.
  >
  > Harry Browne is the director of public policy at the American =
Liberty