Re: improving air travel

The author has some valid points but he's is dead wrong on a couple of items.

The congestion that he mentions is caused by most of the airlines all trying
to fly at the same time instead of spreading out their flights more evenly
throughout the day.  There are times at MIA when there isn't a vacant
international gate (because American has domestic flights on international
gates in order to make their hub work) and other times during the day when
virtually all the gates are empty long enough for numerous flights with
normal turnaround times.  If that someone was Southwest you could probably
have 4 or 5 back to back turnarounds on one gate.  Southwest averages
something like 10 to 12 turnaround flights per gate per day at FLL.  Average
gate utilization at MIA is something like 3.something or 4.something flights
daily depending on the concourse.  It's isn't the government's fault, or the
fault of airports,  that virtually every airline schedules 1 to 5 hour
turnaround times on a gate.  Someday, hopefully, some of these airlines will
absorb the Southwest line of thinking that their aircraft only make money
while flying, not while sitting on the ground hogging a valuable gate and
creating gate shortages for other aircraft that are arriving or need to
return for some reason.

The writer's comment on airports not having enough space for lines of
passengers at ticket counters is inaccurate.  Airlines usually decide how
many ticket counter positions they want when they lease from the airport and
then inadequately staff the counters to create long lines.  I've stood in
line many times to buy a ticket and one of the first things I notice is that
the airline has 8 ticket counter positions and 3 people working, or 20
positions and 10 people working.  So what if there are 30 people in line and
some folks are going to miss their flights?  Add ticket counter personnel?
That's too expensive!  Some airlines lease more counter space than they need
to put the hurts on competitors who would like more space.

The comment about the pilot apologizing and the writer's opinion that he must
have thought he would get in trouble for blaming the the airport or air
traffic control system is absurd.  I've heard numerous reports of AA pilots
blaming "Dade County" on the aircraft intercom at MIA because they had to
hold for a gate, when in fact AA was given preferential usage of 47 gates
virtually all day long and they did their own gate planning that caused the
lack of gates.  AA preferred to leave dead airplanes on gates and foul up the
works than have them towed off to a remote parking position.  This is the
airport's fault?  What BS....

The writer makes a statement that the lack of gates at government airports
prevents startup carriers from starting service.  The US DOT monitors this
situation at commercial airports nationwide and I don't believe it to be a
major problem at most airports.  It's not a problem at all if the startup
airline avoids peak existing operational times since scads of gates are
available then.  In addition, more and more airports are taking back control
of their gates instead of leasing them to airline "x" for 20 years and
airline "y" for 30 years.  Thanks to MIA airport director Dick Judy, who
could foresee the impacts of airline deregulation on airports, MIA started
controlling approximately 22 gates in 1977 and took total control of various
concourses over the years as the long-term airline leases expired.  The
airport controlled all gates at MIA by 1991 when Eastern died and the airport
will control all gates in the future.  MIA replaced all the airline-owned
jetbridges and airlines pay for their usage and concourse fees on a flight by
flight basis.  This policy has allowed countless new airlines (most of the
deregulation startups and failures) to start service at MIA, usually whenever
the airline desired to operate.

Jose Prize
Fan of the truth once in a while

 In a message dated 4/25/2002 3:28:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
exatc@neo.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Re: improving air travel
> Date:4/25/2002 3:28:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:exatc@neo.rr.com";>exatc@neo.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU";>AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
> I see another well informed individual voicing an opinion.  Remember
> opinions are like ******** every one has one.
>
> At least folks who post here have an opportunity to voice their
> opinion/expertise and explain it.  I love one way communications.
>
> This article gives the appearance that the authors experience goes as far
> as the "Admirals Club".  Pardon AAL for use of your name.
>
> Al
>   ----- Original Message -----=20

Taking the blame
   But who gets blamed for all these problems?

> The airlines, of course.
>
> Two years ago my wife and I boarded a plane at LaGuardia Airport to go to
> Atlanta. The plane left the gate on time, but we got no further than the
> runway. The control
> tower held the plane on the LaGuardia runway for four and a half hours.
>
> Why? Because the traffic control system was overloaded and planes were
> backed up arriving at Atlanta airport.

   So why didn't the plane simply go back to the gate and>  let us wait inside
> the airport? Because there were no available gates at the overloaded
> airport.
>
> The pilot was on the Intercom apologizing profusely for the delay as though
> it were the airline's fault. It was almost as though he thought he'd be
> punished if he said
> anything bad about the airports or the air traffic control system.
>
> And the airline paid for an Atlanta hotel room for the  night (because we
> missed our connection to California), even though the airline wasn't
> responsible.
>
> Making a bad situation worse

Since the sad state of air travel today is primarily the>  fault of