  From: damiross@attbi.com=20
  To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 11:27 AM
  Subject: improving air travel

  Improving air travel
  by Harry Browne
  1:00 a.m. Eastern

  =A9 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

  Pity the poor airlines.

  That's right - I said pity the poor airlines.

  Yes, those airlines that try to bump you from flights,
  that keep you sitting in the plane on a runway for an
  hour, that take so long getting your bags to you, that
  have the long lines at the ticket counters. Those
  airlines.

  I'd estimate that about 75 percent of the problems we
  blame on airlines are caused either by government-owned
  airports or by the federal Air Traffic Controller
  system.

  Prior to Sept. 11, the airlines kept offering cheaper
  and cheaper fares, the demand for air travel kept
  increasing and increasing, the airlines' inventory of
  planes and employees kept growing and growing, while the
  airports and air traffic control system became more and
  more out of date.

  The government-owned airports are always so far behind
  the curve that there's never enough room at the ticket
  counters to process passenger volume quickly, never an
  efficient baggage system, never enough gates available
  to handle all the planes.

  And those flight delays? When they're not caused by the
  weather, they almost always are caused by a federal
  traffic control system that operates with ancient
  computers and typical bureaucratic inefficiency.

  Taking the blame

  But who gets blamed for all these problems?

  The airlines, of course.

  Two years ago my wife and I boarded a plane at LaGuardia
  Airport to go to Atlanta. The plane left the gate on
  time, but we got no further than the runway. The control
  tower held the plane on the LaGuardia runway for four
  and a half hours.

  Why? Because the traffic control system was overloaded
  and planes were backed up arriving at Atlanta airport.

  So why didn't the plane simply go back to the gate and
  let us wait inside the airport? Because there were no
  available gates at the overloaded airport.

  The pilot was on the Intercom apologizing profusely for
  the delay as though it were the airline's fault. It was
  almost as though he thought he'd be punished if he said
  anything bad about the airports or the air traffic
  control system.

  And the airline paid for an Atlanta hotel room for the
  night (because we missed our connection to California),
  even though the airline wasn't responsible.

  Making a bad situation worse

  Since the sad state of air travel today is primarily the
  fault of governments, the Ralph Nader types have a
  solution - more government.

  They want a "Passenger Bill of Rights" with such
  intelligent provisions as making an airline pay a
  passenger 200 percent of the ticket price when a flight
  is more than two hours late. Presumably, that will "send
  a message" to the airlines that they should make
  government more efficient.

  Public relations

  The biggest failing of the airlines themselves is
  probably poor training in public relations.

  Not only do their employees too often apologize for
  problems that aren't their fault, the employees don't
  show empathy when it really is called for. They
  apologize inappropriately in a collective way, but they
  too seldom apologize in a personal way.

  When you wait forever in line at the ticket counter,
  rarely does the ticket agent say, "I'm sorry you had to
  wait so long." When you can't get the seat selection you
  ask for, you don't hear, "I'm sorry we can't accommodate
  you." When your baggage is lost or late getting rerouted
  back to you, no one says, "I'm sorry you've had to put
  up with this."

  An airline employee needs to learn only two simple
  lessons: 1) No one likes to be inconvenienced, and 2)
  when inconvenienced, anyone will feel a lot better if
  you just show a little sympathy. It amazes me that, in
  such a "people" business, I'm not aware of any airline
  whose ground personnel are noticeably well-trained in
  public relations. (Southwest is probably the best I've
  seen, and the telephone reservation clerks for most
  airlines seem very well-trained.)

  I said 75 percent of the air-travel problems are really
  government problems. Probably most of the other 25
  percent would be reduced considerably if new competitors
  could come into the market and pressure existing
  airlines to improve their public-relations skills. But a
  lack of gates at the government airports makes it
  virtually impossible for a new airline to get started.

  Solving the problems

  It would take a separate article to explore all the
  possible improvements, but two general remedies are
  obvious:

  Cities and counties should sell their airports to
  private companies and make it easier for competing
  airports to open within each city.

  The federal government should get completely out of air
  traffic control. Let the airlines operate the system,
  modernize it, and make it efficient.
  Let's make air travel fun again.

  Harry Browne is the director of public policy at the
  American Liberty Foundation. You can read more of his
  articles and find out about his network radio show at
  HarryBrowne.org.

  --
  David Ross
  http://home.attbi.com/~damiross