Denver Centennial Airport OKs Scheduled Service

In what could be the last episode of a long, contentious drama, the
authority for Denver Centennial Airport (APA) on April 11 rescinded its ban
on scheduled service, but only for aircraft with nine or fewer passenger
seats. The move restores eligibility for up to $3 million in federal funding
for APA. The authority took its action in anticipation of the FAA approving
a change in regulations (now part of an NPRM) to lower the cutoff aircraft
seating capacity of its Part 139 airport certification requirements to
nine-or-fewer seats from 30-or-fewer. In 1993, Centennial Express Airlines
began a back-and-forth legal battle by initiating scheduled service at APA.
In an April 10 letter Centennial Express wrote, “[Since] 30 seats or
fewer…remains the minimum number…we feel is necessary for viable passengers
service…we are formally withdrawing our application to operate scheduled
airline service at Centennial Airport.”