Re: Where's the Air Force?

Amen.

We also seem to forget that until Sept. 11, the common wisdom on dealing=20
with hijackers was considerably different:  negotiate, buy time, appease,=20
at least until a safe landing could be carried out.  The whole approach=20
was to defuse tension in the cockpit to allow the flight to come to a safe =

conclusion.  No doubt the Air Force was also trained to facilitate this=20
approach. I know from talking to a Canadian CF18 pilot (a Lt. Col.), that=20
our approach has changed.  Whereas pre-Sept. 11 hijack contingency plans=20
were to intercept the hijacked aircraft but tail it from several miles=20
back to avoid provoking the hijackers, now the plan is to get in real=20
close and visible and make your presence known immediately, and make it=20
clear that  you'll down the aircraft at the first sign of hostile intent.

The situation with the Payne Stewart Learjet tragedy was completely=20
different.  The pilot wasn't responding to ATC.  The windows were frosted=20
over indicating clearly that there was a major malfunction aboard.=20
Everyone on board was dead or doomed before the intereceptors got to it.=20
Clearly that plane was going to go to grief no matter what.

You can't blame the Air Force for going by the playbook on Sept. 11.  That =

the playbook had to be re-written afterwards is irrelevant.  Nobody could=20
anticipate that a handful of terrorists armed with box cutters could wreak =

the havoc that they did.  I'm also guessing that on the very rare chance=20
that someone should attempt this again, they're not likely to make it past =

the forward lav before being neutralized by hostile passengers..

Mike "no fan of conspiracy theories" Gammon
=20
----- Original Message -----=20