Where's the Air Force?

Ok, "the Boeing" was "found" (Duh!), and thanks to Matthew, the MASS MEDIA=20
"put-options" legend/myth perhaps laid to rest..and here's something more=20
towards Matthew's point from LATimes and Bloomberg...They're few and far=20
between after that initial burst of reports through all the major outlets.=20
(But then again I'm not paying for the WSJ archives and maybe they cleared i=
t=20
up much sooner).=20

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-091901trading.story

Now, maybe some knowledgeable folks can fill in some of the blanks here....
with the apparent lack of Air Force intervention in the events of Sept 11th.=
 =20
=20

As I read about it, the USAF gets a fighter jet alongside Payne Stewarts=20
bizjet/ in October of 1999 within 20 minutes of ATC losing contact with the=20
pilot. This via bang bang ATC-USAF relay. AF Fighter pilot able to peer over=
=20
at the bizjet cockpit - see that there is condensation on the glass or=20
whatever....he's now in a position to shoot this plane down if the order=20
comes through the proper chain of command.   =20

>From NTSB report (supposedly):

9:19  am.: the flight departs=20
9:24: am.The Learjet's pilot responds to an instruction from air traffic=20
control=20
9:33: The controller radios another instruction. No response from the pilot.=
=20
For 4 * minutes the controller tries to establish contact.
9:38: Having failed, the controller calls in the military.
9:54 16 minutes later -- the F-16 reaches the Learjet at 46,000 feet and=20
conducts a visual inspection.=20
Total elapsed time: 21 minutes.

Come Sept 11th 2001:  =20
party from cnn/ others

8:45 am.: A large plane, possibly a hijacked airliner , crashes into one of=20
the World Trade Center towers, tearing a gaping hole in the building and=20
setting it afire.   [I assume it has already "lost contact" before this=20
occurs. It departed Boston at 7:45(?) - one full hour (?) prior to slamming=20
into the North Tower.] =20
9:03 am: A second plane, apparently a passenger jet, crashes into the second=
=20
World Trade Center tower and explodes. Both buildings are burning.=20
9:17 am: The FAA shuts down all New York City area airports.=20
9:21 am: New York City Port Authority orders all bridges and tunnels in the=20
New York City area closed=20
9:30 am: Bush, speaking in Florida, says the country has suffered an=20
"apparent terrorist attack."=20
9:40 am: The FAA halts all flight operations at U.S. airports, the first tim=
e=20
in U.S. history that air traffic nationwide has been halted.=20
9:43 am: An aircraft crashes into the Pentagon, sending up a huge plume of=20
smoke. Evacuation begins immediately.=20

Here at 9:43, it is a full 40 minutes from the time the North World Trade=20
Center has been hit. a full 30 minutes since the 2nd plane has hit the South=
=20
World Trade Center. =20
12 minutes since the President says the US is under attack.  =20
But the Pentagon, White House etc. is apparently unprotected from incoming=20
rogue airliners.

10:10 am: United Airlines Flight 93 crashes in Somerset County, Pennsylvania=
,=20
southeast of Pittsburgh. This is well over a full hour since the first=20
airliner lost contact.  It is sporadically reported the fighter jets had bee=
n=20
just minutes away from the PA jet as well as the 2nd WTC jet.  =20

OK, so apples and oranges. The transponders are turned off on the=20
airliners...the Payne Stewart bizjet is not changing direction, zig zaging=20
etc...there is, I guess, alot more traffic in the NE. Is the thinking "well,=
=20
its a hijacking, just wait for it to land".? as opposed to the Payne Stewart=
=20
incident where maybe there was an immediate fear of it crashing?

Questions:  Is it not possible to easily enough track these hijacked=20
airliners on radar? even without the transponders, which were turned off? AS=
=20
unidentified blips/targets? ... Is the NorthEast just that poorly stocked=20
with combat ready jet fighters?  Remember, The airliners are a moving target=
,=20
but W-DC is not. Still it is undefended a full 40 minutes from the 2nd impac=
t=20
on WTC (if I have the times correct).

There is Andrews Air Force Base, home of Air Force One. A large installation=
=20
once purported to be home of two combat-ready squadrons of jet interceptors=20
mandated to ensure the safety of the US capital. Andrews is 12 miles (?) fro=
m=20
the White House/Pentagon.  The 121st Fighter Squadron of the 113th Fighter=20
Wing, equipped with F-16s, (the 321st Marine Air Group, Detachment A,=20
equipped F-18s?) =20

[I find these pictures - undated really - at the following...

http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.rolt/RF01-04/rf01.htm

Theres 12 pictures of F-16s of the "District of Columbia Air National Guard"=
 =20
- if you scroll down.]
  =20
AT http://www.tenc.net/9-11backups/dcandr.htm
dated Jan 21st 2001.

I read the following:=20

andrews 121 st Fighter Squadron, 113th Fighter wing   =20
Air National Guard Readiness Center
>=20
>=20
> On June 1 1979 the old ANG Field Support Center at Edgewood Arsenal, MD.,=20
> was inactivated as a named activity and, concurrent with inactivation, the=
=20
> Headquarters ANG Support Center was constituted as a direct reporting unit=
=20
> and assigned to the United States Air Force. This designated the ANG=20
> director as a dual position-one actively on the Air Staff and one as the=20
> ANG Support Center Commander.
>=20
> The ANG Support Center was redesignated as a field operating agency of the=
=20
> National Guard Bureau in 1989 as a result of an internal reorganization. I=
n=20
> late1990, the NGB at Andrews was redesignated as the Air National Guard=20
> Readiness Center.
>=20
>=20

113th Wing (DCANG)
>=20
> Andrews AFB has been the home of the 113th Wing and associated District of=
=20
> Columbia Air National Guard units since 1946. Over the years, the 113th ha=
s=20
> flown nine different fighter aircraft, including the F-100 Super Sabre in=20
> which the unit conducted the first all-Air National Guard deployment to=20
> Europe in 1964. Four years later the 113th aviators employed the F-100 in=20
> combat in Vietnam following the Pueblo call-up.
> Wing members were also called to active duty in the Korean War, the 1961=20
> Berlin crisis and most recently Operation Desert Storm.
> The wing flew the F-105 Thunderchief for 10 years before it converted to=20
> the F-4D Phantom II fighter in 1981. The 113th now flies the F-16C Fightin=
g=20
> Falcon and only recently the C-21 Learjet and C-22 Boeing 727, as a result=
=20
> of the DCANG unit reorganization when the 201st Airlift Squadron became=20
> part of the wing in October 1985.
> Formerly Detachment 1, Headquarters DCANG, the 201st AS performs=20
> operational airlift missions for the National Guard Bureau, the Air Force=20
> and the Department of Defense.
> Training for air combat and operational airlift for national defense is th=
e=20
> 113 this primary mission. However, as part of its dual mission, the 113th=20
> provides capable and ready response forces for the District of Columbia in=
=20
> the event of natural disaster or civil emergency. Members also assist loca=
l=20
> and federal law enforcement agencies in combating drug trafficking in the=20
> District of Columbia.
> At Andrews, the 113th Wing, its associated DCANG units, and their people=20
> are full partners with the active Air Force.

****************************************************************************=
**

***********
>From USAF Fact Sheet...=20
   In addition, the Air National Guard has total responsibility for air=20
defense of the entire United States....
Besides providing 100 percent of the United States air defense interceptor=20
force, the Air National Guard performs many other ...
****************************************************************************=
**

***********
So.....the "interceptor force" was not trained to intercept civil airliners=20
of course...but why couldn't the Air Force get some jets up on the=20
unidentified radar blips and ask "Friend of Foe"???   I assume enemy bombers=
=20
would not have "transponders" turned on...although they'd be readily=20
identified upon visual which a rogue airliner would not.
 =20
The story below illustrates that last minutes warning was possible...but=20
obviously the Air Force would need more lead time that that.  =20

Radar screen blip raised suspicions

Unidentified jet's transponder had been deactivated

By Don Phillips
The Washington Post

Published September 12 2001

WASHINGTON -- Controllers watching their radar screens at Washington Dulles=20
International Airport spotted an unidentified aircraft flying at unusually=20
high speed directly toward the White House on Tuesday morning, and warned=20
authorities minutes before the Boeing 757 turned tightly and circled around=20
to slam into the Pentagon, according to federal aviation sources.

The controllers couldn't identify the plane because someone on board=20
apparently had turned off its transponder, the equipment that transmits the=20
plane's airline, flight number, speed and altitude to radar screens.=20
Tentatively, the plane was identified as American Flight 77, which had been=20
scheduled to take off from Dulles at 8:10 a.m. EDT for Los Angeles, with two=
=20
pilots, four flight attendants and 58 passengers aboard.

The skill with which the plane was flown, including the knowledge of how to=20
turn off the transponder, raised the probability that a trained pilot was at=
=20
the controls, possibly a hijacker.

Sources were not specific about the times of the events but said that after=20
leaving Dulles, the plane continued west for a while.

At some point, apparently after turning off the transponder, the plane turne=
d=20
back toward Washington with no radio contact.

The plane would have appeared on radar screens as an unidentified blip,=20
called a "primary target" -- something commonly seen by controllers when an=20
aircraft doesn't have a transponder or is a military aircraft flying with it=
s=20
transponder turned off. But the airspace around Dulles, Washington Reagan=20
National Airport and much of Washington is designated "class B" airspace,=20
meaning no one is supposed to fly there without a working transponder and=20
permission from a controller.

The sources said Dulles controllers noticed a fast-moving primary target in=20
their airspace east-southeast of the airport, where it shouldn't be, headed=20
directly toward the restricted airspace around the White House. They alerted=
=20
controllers at National Airport that an unidentified unauthorized aircraft=20
was headed their way.

But as they watched, the plane began turning to the right, away from the=20
White House, circling a full 270 degrees to the right and approaching the=20
Pentagon from the southwest. It then dropped below radar level, disappearing=
=20
from the controllers' screens, shortly before hitting the Pentagon about 9:4=
5=20
a.m., less than an hour after two other aircraft hit the World Trade Center=20
towers in New York City.

Federal aviation rules limit the speeds of commercial aircraft flying below=20
10,000 feet. The sources said it appeared this plane was at full throttle.

Controllers then saw that a Boeing 757 identified as United Flight 93, flyin=
g=20
from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco, had turned toward Washington over=20
Pennsylvania. The United plane crashed for unknown reasons about 10 a.m.=20
about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

Federal aviation officials are reporting that the transponders had been=20
turned off on all four planes that crashed Tuesday morning, including two=20
that flew into the World Trade Center.

Copyright =A9 2002, <A HREF=3D"http://www.chicagotribune.com/";>The Chicago T=
ribune</A>