Re: Where's the Air Force?

Plenty of text, but you touch on a few points.

The first thing the hijackers did was turn off the transponders, that
made standard ATC 'blind.' I believe very little training is spent on
dealing with planes that are in controlled airspace, at low altitude,
high-velocity with no radio contact.

The FAA request to ground all jets to the nearest airfield would of made
an incredible mess and intense workload for all the controllers
involved.

No one ever imagined that a threat would come 'from within.' The 'DEW'
line of radar installations that forms a perimeter around North America
was designed to catch those 'pesky russians' who weren't expected to
have the decency to turn on some transponders and squawk the requested
code.

The words "lull", "false sense of security" and "aviation security" are
often bandied about, quite appropriately in my opinion. I also believe
in a comment that the former chief of security of El-Al made on a talk
show that week: It would of never of happened in Israel, or on an El-Al
jet.

Matthew

[snip]