DHL says to resume Afghanistan services Wednesday

MANAMA, March 10 (Reuters) - Courier company DHL International said on
Sunday it will resume its regular service to war-ravaged Afghanistan this
week, 15 years after it was halted.

DHL Chairman and Chief Executive Uwe Dorken said the company will operate
its first weekly flight to Kabul on Wednesday from Bahrain, the headquarters
of the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet.

"DHL is the first international express company to have a presence in
Afghanistan," Dorken said in a statement.

"The initial objective is for us to take part in the global humanitarian aid
being currently provided to this country in the aftermath of war and
destruction," he added.

DHL Worldwide Express, the global brand of the Brussels-based DHL
International, acts as freight forwarder for the U.S. military forces.

Dorken said DHL halted its services to Afghanistan during the war against
Soviet occupation 15 years ago.

"We are doing it because we believe in the future of our services there,"
Dorken told reporters.

Bahrain is DHL's distribution hub for the Middle East. It currently operates
a fleet of seven aircraft.