Flying more or less?

Are people flying more or less than they were six months ago or a year ago?

I'm flying distinctly less than I was a year ago, but that's mostly because
of a job change for me. I flew 50,000 miles in 2000 while working as a
computer consultant, and I managed 30 segments on United last year. My
travel last year was partly from working as a consultant and partly from
personal travel, including using real money, not miles, for the last trip
of the year to get to 30 segments. However, that last trip came literally
days after I was laid off from my job on a travelling consultant, and my
new job shouldn't have more than three trips a year, all domestic. I'll
continue to fly for leisure and family reasons, but I'm not likely to keep
any status with United: too few segments, and too few miles.

So, I'm flying less, but it's because the dot-com and telecommunications
industries tanked, not because of terrorism or anything like that.