Iran and Russian aircraft

After the recent Iran Air Tours Tu-154M crash, a decision was made by the
aviation minister that all Soviet built aircraft currently flying within
Iran would be replaced. Considering that airlines such as Kish Air, Caspian
Airlines, Qeshm Air, Iran Air Tours, Tehran Airways and others have nothing
but Tupolev, Antonov and Yakovlev products in their fleet, I got to
wondering what they would replace them with. Aircraft such as the Yak-40
could easily be replaced by the IRAN-140 (a domestically licence-built
version of the An-140). Then I got to wondering what would replaced the
Tu-154s and Yak-42s. The airlines mentioned above to not have the required
financing or money to buy Airbus products. Boeing products are out of the
question due to embargoes. Embraer and Canadair products are too small to be
able to effectively replace the larger aircraft.

Then I see this today via avia.ru/AFP:

Iran has decided to buy Russian Tu-204 and Tu-334 civil aircraft, according
to the Russian lawmaker Dmitry Rogozin, who had just returned from Tehran
late Tuesday.

The Tu-204 airplanes would be used to boost Iran`s domestic and foreign
flights, which had been using Russian aircraft for over 30 years, said
Rogozin who heads the foreign affairs committee in Russia`s lower house of
parliament.

Iran also expressed ``great interest in setting up a joint consortium for
manufacturing Tu-334 parts under our license, and to buy those planes,
too,`` the lawmaker added as quoted by the Interfax news agency.

The issue would be more thoroughly discussed at the April meeting of the
intergovernmental committee aimed at boosting bilateral ties between Russia
and Iran.

Rogozin and a group of Russian lawmakers were in Tehran to discuss the
future of Afghanistan and ways to step up cooperation in providing aid for
the war-torn country.

Iran and Russia both supported the Northern Alliance which ousted
Afghanistan`s fundamentalist Taliban militia as part of the US-led campaign.

This is absolutely great news for the Tu-204 program, if in fact this plan
is fair dinkum and goes ahead as reported.

As per my latest JP Airline Fleets, there are currently the following
Tu-154s flying in Iran:

Aria Air Tour - 1 x Tu-154M
Caspian Airlines - 4 x Tu-154M
Iran Air Tours - 10 x Tu-154M (was 11 until the recent crash)
Kish Air - 4 x Tu-154M
Qeshm Air - 2 x Tu-154M
Mahan Air - not listed, but I know that have at least 1 x Tu-154M

If this does go ahead, seeing as most of the Tu-154Ms currently flying in
Iran are leased (by the looks of it, the majority being from VARZ, I would
probably suggest that any Tu-204s which are ordered would also be leased.
Maybe these will be some of the aircraft which the Egyptian KATO Group has
recently "ordered" from the Aviastar factory in Ulyanovsk? Would they
be -100 models with PS engines or -120 models with RR engines? Guesses
anyone?

Also, an Iranian order for the Tu-334 is pretty much the shot in the arm
which the aircraft needs. Whether Iran would be able to licence build the
aircraft in Iran, or just participate in manufacturing certain parts, is yet
to be seen.

The Tu-334 also has the possibility of replacing older aircraft in the
fleets of both Iran Air and Iran Aseman Airlines. Aircraft such as the
737-200, 727 (although the Tu-204 could also replace this), F28 and maybe
even IR's F100s.

Lets hope for the sake of the Russian aviation industry that the Iranians do
end up with Tu-204s and Tu-334s some time in the near future. Now, if only
the Iranian foreign minister can reschedule his visit to Moscow in a timely
manner, so that the Russians have the prime opportunity to get much needed
orders.