From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
Matthew Montano
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 9:05 PM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Cabotage

Cabotage is not a real concern due to pure geography. Pure open skies
won't happen for a long time (if at all) until the government gets rid
of their subsidization and/or requirement for AC to service small
communities. Transport Canada is not helping the situation any by
imposing a flat-rate security fee making marginal routes more marginal.

What will happen very soon, in my mind, will be permission for North
American airlines to sell seats competitively for connecting two cities
in the same country, but not the one the airline is based in. I.e. AC
selling Seattle<->Newark tickets (through YYZ) at a price comparable to
United through Chicago.

With the great circle being what it is, MSP/DTW/ORD/YYZ can all serve
cross-continent flight connections quite well.

Matthew