From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
B787300@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 7:14 AM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: In defence of FF

We've all heard plenty of horror tales like that and the commie a-holes out
west who tried to keep Joe Foss's Medal of Honor and caused him to miss his
flight.  Now the federal government will decide how many scanning machines
and how much manpower will be in place.  That's a really scary thought
because airlines could buy additional equipment and hire additional people
get people onto their flights in a reasonable amount of time and I just
don't
see the feds as being fast to react if they react at all. Certain airlines
and airports can really get screwed by the lack of equipment and manpower,
especially those airports where interior space isn't available for expansion
of the screening areas.  Did airline "X" contribute to the wrong political
party or candidates during the last election?  Oh, sorry about
that..........your additional equipment and manpower will be here in 2005.

This is going to evolve into a situation similar to where communities,
airports and airlines had to lobby the feds (U. S. Reps, Senators, heads of
agencies, etc.) constantly to gain more manpower and equipment to get more
USDA, INS and Customs inspectors at international airports.  The wait to
clear Immigrations and Customs at MIA used to be 2, 3 and 4 hours many years
ago because there weren't enough INS and Customs inspectors on duty during
peak times and it took years of lobbying to gain the additional inspectors.

Some airports will gain, some will remain the same, and some will lose.
Like
you say, the airlines are going to lose a lot of premium business because of
the inconvenience and additional time involved to take a flight.  Biz jet
rentals, partial ownerships and outright sales should boom, along with
driving by car on relatively short trips.

Jose Prize
Fan of sanity

HREF="mailto:Peter.Schneider@elekta.com";>Peter.Schneider@elekta.com</A>
HREF="mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU";>AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU</A>