Re: Cabotage

Antoin,

Going back to the Chicago Convention, every signatory nation agrees it starts
with certain rights, one of which is control over cabotage.  Over the years
since, many nations have allowed layers of their trade "onion" to be peeled away
-- and not just in relation to air services.

The US has permitted substantial flesh, in terms of rights, to be traded away in
this respect, to nations which do not offer comparable markets or the potential
in the future for comparables.  That's a call to be made by someone above my pay
grade (though I would certainly hope to influence same).

To the extent that new U.S. flag entrants like JetBlue continue to offer nonstop
services  in multiple frequencies at attractive prices, incumbents are
disciplined and the consumer benefits.  I see no way that allowing cabotage
would substantially improve consumer welfare.  For example, AC does not have the
cost structure, while WestJet is focused elsewhere.  In fact, were the growth of
U.S. new entrants to be impeded by allowing cabotage, consumer welfare would be
damaged, not enhanced

To the extent that new entrants were no longer able to improve consumer welfare,
the equation should be re-evaluated.  That is not a present concern, and likely
not in the foreseeable future, however.  But it is one of the factors US DOT has
historically viewed as important.

To my mind, the airframe argument turns on dumping and subsidies than any other
factor.  Like steel, grain and many other commodities.  However, air services
are not presently in the WTO sphere of influence or control.   (Not that WTO
wouldn't like to gain control of air...)

- Bob Mann