Computer glitch causes 8-hour delay at Piarco

Computer glitch causes 8-hour delay at Piarco

Transport Minister Arnold Piggot has ordered an investigation into an early=
=20
morning shutdown of the computer systems at the Piarco Airport terminal=20
which led to a backlog and many disgruntled travellers. Piggot reported=20
that, at 12.03 yesterday morning, the terminals that display the arrival=20
and departure times for flights froze and the computers that issue baggage=
=20
tags and boarding passes ceased to operate. The situation was rectified by=
=20
8 a.m. and passengers were allowed to board their flights. =93My information=
=20
is that this is the first time that this has happened with the system and=20
you would appreciate that computer systems are very delicate pieces of=20
equipment and malfunctions can indeed occur. Whether this occurred because=
=20
of the overloading of the system this morning given the volumes that had to=
=20
be processed and given the amount of terminals that had to be signed on is=
=20
yet to be known by me,=94 Piggot told reporters at Balisier House where he=
=20
had attended a PNM special general council meeting. He will receive a=20
report from the airport's general manager today. BWIA=92s director of=20
corporate communications, Clint Williams, told the Express that, while=20
unfortunate, the shutdown was not a cause for major concern.

=93It was largely a software glitch. Simply put, we had too many gateways=20
open at the same time. We had a bottleneck of info which caused the system=
=20
to shut down,=94 he said, adding that the system had actually shut down to=
=20
protect itself.
He said the information technology staff of BWIA had already analysed the=20
problem, and did not anticipate a recurrence of the malfunction. Williams=20
said the malfunction did not mean that the system could not handle the=20
rigours of the seasonal rush of Carnival travellers, and added that no=20
information was lost or damaged. =93We=92re confident that we=92ve learnt=
 from=20
the experience, and we'll be ready to deal with the system if the=20
circumstances arise again,=94 he added.

=97with reporting by Kayode James (Trinidad Express)

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

Caribbean Brass & Soca Connection Club Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
Steel Expressions Orch
http://www.escape.ca/~ejames/se/
email #1: mailto:steelexpressions@yahoo.com
email #2: mailto:steelexpressions@home.com
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(NLCB) http://www.nlcb.co.tt/
(National Lotteries Control Board)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://195.224.187.36/