Re: Air Canada posts record $1.25 billion loss for 2001

There is some tempering necessary on the numbers. (enter, albeit
briefly, into AC shareholder mode.)

AC acquired CP and although they bought CP for less than $79M, they
assumed considerably more than that in debt and other liabilities. Much
of these liabilities were settled for pennies on the dollar. They also
acquired "income tax recoveries". I'm not an accountant, but I
understand they are similar to carrying over a tax deductions. Still
some of these liabilities (like labour costs) from CP exist. Year over
year #s, per ACs own disclaimer are poor comparisons.

The key # is 'operating loss', in this respect they lost $731M. This of
course, is Canadian dollars, or about $456M USD. United's full year
operating loss was 1.8B USD I recall. This makes AC's loss look very
large, and it is.

AC shackled themselves with a labour guarantees that the government
would let them out of. (Canada 3000 had a similar situation, and
couldn't hold on.) Canadian's restrictive labour laws can be held
accountable for a sizable chunk of their loss.

BUT.

AC's management can take the blame for the rest.

- AC had reasonable trans-con competition for much of the year, but they
still hold the lions share of the market due to their feeder networks
out of Calgary/Vancouver and Toronto/Montreal.

- AC has strong regional competition (i.e. Westjet), but they still hold
the lions share of the market for the same reason as above.

- AC has government controlled competition on international routes. CP's
asian routes were there most profitable, and AC always did well on
European routes.

- AC has virtually no competition on the US market since the open-skies
policy between Canada and the US is still mostly one way. AC's feeder
network also guarantee's them a certain portion of the traffic anyways.

The rest is clear mismanagement. Morale among many AC folk is pitiful,
leading to poor productivity. There's a tremendous cost in poor
inter-employee relations brought about by the CP/AC merger that was not
helped from an executive level. Even ACs staffers admit management tells
them they are in the "Transportation Business not the Customer Service
Business"! That attitude is felt by the customer and the customer is
responding. Compare AC to Westjet. Westjet has a higher market
capitalization that AC!

How AC can have:
- one of the youngest and most efficient aircraft fleets of any major
airline
- pay their employees 60-65% of their US counterparts (after $
conversion)
- have domination over the industry in a country that relies on air
travel
- have domination over the transborder business to the richest country
in the world

... And still loose a boat load of cash? I guess the question still
stands.