Re: Air Canada posts record $1.25 billion loss for 2001

The untold story of why AC was forced into buying CP will probably
remain untold for quite sometime.

Onex clearly intended to shred both companies to their cores and make a
profitable business out of it. Doing so assumed certain levels of
control that (as AC successfully claimed in court) was not permissable
by law, and Onex was forced to withdraw their bid.

AC had made regular offers for CP assets prior to the Onex bid, but any
significant bids would of required a relaxation of the equivalent of
"anti-trust" rules embodied in the Air Transport Act. Once that was
done, Onex made their bid... In a manner acceptable to CP's board and
majority owners.

I guess AC felt that it had to continue to match an offer on the table
for CP, and probably was 'persuaded' by the Federal Government to not
allow CP to go under. If that was the case, it's odd that 'tell it like
it is' Milton hasn't even hinted at this. Though there were hints that
the Feds were going to offer significant concessions to AC if they took
over CP's assets.

AC's share price hit $20 (from $6.25 before the start) on that
sentiment. The concessions turned out more to be constrictions, the
economy soured, AC had some serious labour issues, and AC's share price
plunged below $5.

I'm still hoping some business editors from The Financial Post or the
Globe and Mail will compile the "untold" story of the fiasco. It'd make
great reading.\

Matthew