Re: CAL011 Incident at ANC

I'm gonna throw my $0.02 as a crewmember...

Joe,
Although not officially a 'rule', it is included in FAR 91.13 "Careless or
reckless operation".  In the US, pilots are taught to cross reference their
instruments from the early days as a student pilot and is usually second
nature soon afterwards.  This includes confirmation of taxiway and/or runway
assignment as continuous situational awareness.  (Sort of like numerous
"three green" checks on final out of paranoia of landing gear up, bit pilots
still do.).  The concern you have for the crew to stop and confirm their
position, if need be, is already a subject in many company manuals as SOP.
These issues have arisen mostly due to the numerous runway incursions and
the related accidents/incidents during low visibility over the past 20-25
years or so and with Tenerife.  (Vis was good at ANC as you earlier pointed
out; so this opens another chapter).  I also recall it being in an Advisory
Circular, but I do not recall which one.  However, these are US publications
and may or may not be distributed widely elsewhere.  (The US distributes
this information within more widespread because many (most) other countries
lack a wide variety of pilots...general aviation from the student pilots to
ATPs flying 747-400s.).

As far as your white lights and blue lights ...that's a given...not just FAA
regs, but ICAO standards....and if anything, the Chinese know ICAO.

Walter
DCA