Re: CAL011 Incident at ANC

In a message dated 2/4/02 2:38:51 PM Central Standard Time, wlw-jr@att.net
writes:

> I'm gonna throw my $0.02 as a crewmember...

Exactly what Walt said.  I will add one thing, from back in my freight dog
days I got in the habit of setting the heading bug to the EXACT runway
heading from the Jepp charts (I don't recall if NOS has this info).  This way
when I pull on the runway (the white lights :-)), I glance down at the EHSI
and if the bug doesn't line up something is wrong, either the runway or the
gyro system.  Some of the captains I have flown with think I am nuts but I am
only performing CRM/CYA.

Jim

For Ray (any anybody else):
NOS= National Oceanic Service
EHSI= Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (heading gyro)
CRM/CYA= Crew Resource Management to Cover Your A$$

Proud to be an American,
Jim Hann
Waterski J-41 Captain
STL