Re: CAL011 Incident at ANC

 Stu,
off the top of my head- isnt it white lights on the rwy edges and blue lights on the twy edges as per FAA regs? shouldnt that have alerted the crew?
I strongly believe that the FAA should enact a new rule that both pilot and co pilot should do a verbal crosscheck prior to initiating t/o roll that confirms they are on assigned t/o rwy- if you dont see the numbers and/or can confirm them- STOP and ask yourself if you're in the right rwy and/or are you on a twy.
comments?

  StuartBiglerJr@cs.com wrote: I saw several messages about the Dynasty incident at ANC. Here's what I
know to date. The incident happened at about 2:15am so there were only two
controllers on duty. The CAL A343 was taxiing for takeoff on runway 32. The
local controller, who was also working ground control, cleared them for
takeoff while they were still taxiing on taxiway Romeo (the main north-south
taxiway). The crew should have taxiied to the taxiway Kilo intersection and
turned right, taxiied about 400 feet west and turned right again onto the
runway. Instead they turned onto taxiway Kilo and started the takeoff roll.
The tapes show that the takeoff clearance was clear and acknowledged by the
crew. The LC had turned to check the TSD (Traffic Situational Display) to
check on inbound traffic when he realized that the engines sounded different
than normal. He turned around to find CAL about 1000ft down the taxiway
gaining speed. He told me he felt that the aircraft could not be stopped on
the remaining taxiway so he said nothing. The news reports keep talking about
tire tracks in a snow berm at the end of the taxiway. There was no berm,
there is a flat area that extends about 100 feet and ends at a 30-50 foot
embankment. The tire tracks from the main gear ran right off the taxiway and
across the ground to the embankment. They literally flew (rode?) the thing
off the end. They flew over about a quarter mile of woods and then out over
Cook Inlet. They're lucky to be alive. I've heard that the crew has been
grounded and we expect a NTSB team to arrive on Monday. There has been
speculation that the crew misunderstood the clearance but I haven't heard
anything concrete. The LC's actions and words have been examined and conform
to our handbook. The difference in headings for the taxiway and the runway is
80 degrees, so someone should have noticed. The only thing I have been able
to come up with is that the takeoff heading was directly to the first fix on
their flight plan. Maybe that has something to do with it. The news reports
also say that it got very quiet in the tower when it happened. NOT! The LC
told me that he was yelling "OH SH*T" over and over. The other controller
rang the crash phone and shouted the same thing at the fire department
dispatcher who, of course, had no clue as to what was happening. Poor guy, I
can only imagine what was going through his mind. When I get the lowdown on
what the investigation turns up I'll post the results. Oh yes, there were 250
pax and crew aboard. From where the aircraft started to roll to the end of
the tire tracks is about 6000 feet.

Stuart Bigler
ANC ATCT

Joe Pries Commercial Aviation Photography
Serving the airline industry with quality photography
AOL IM AIRLINE72
http://www.joepries.com