SF Gate: Airlines raise bar on upgrades, freebies for top travelers

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2002/02/01/f=
inancial1319EST0152.DTL
Friday, February 1, 2002 (AP)
Airlines raise bar on upgrades, freebies for top travelers
JESSE DRUCKER, and

   (02-01) 10:19 PST (AP) -- RAFER GUZMAN The Wall Street Journal
   Last month, Thomas Anantharaman nearly threw away a free vacation to
Hawaii.
   Just as he was set to toss his American Airlines frequent-flier statement
in the trash, he suddenly noticed that the mileage requirement for a
summer vacation he'd been planning jumped by 20,000 miles -- unless he
booked soon. "Now I guess I'm doing it in the coming winter," says Mr.
Anantharaman, a college professor in Madison, Wis.
   Warning to frequent fliers: Start reading the fine print. After a
post-Sept. 11 bonanza in mileage offers, airlines have quietly started
imposing an array of new restrictions making life harder for frequent
fliers. True, some carriers recently eliminated blackout dates. But others
have changed the rules on everything from upgrade certificates to higher
mileage requirements for free tickets, in some cases by as much as 25
percent more. During the past few weeks, Northwest Airlines and
Continental Airlines raised the award levels for most domestic coach
flights to 25,000 miles from 20,000. (And, unlike on most airlines, you're
still stuck having to stay over on a Saturday night.)
   "I feel betrayed by an airline I used to admire greatly," says Andy Hyde,
a publishing executive from Nashville, Tenn., and a Continental platinum
member.
   Other signs of stinginess: Alaska Airlines, for one, is eliminating some
free certificates travelers used for fare discounts and admission to
airport lounges. Fliers aren't happy. Says Robert Winn, a corporate
trainer in South Bend, Ind., who flew 69,000 miles on Alaska and its
partner airlines last year, "It's made me rethink where my airline loyalty
should lie."
   Doing anything to make it harder to fly would have been unthinkable just=
few months ago: Passenger traffic was down 20 percent and airlines were
desperate for passengers to fill seats. American, Delta and Alaska offered
double miles for all trips flown. Northwest began promoting super-discount
fares when used in combination with tiny numbers of miles.
   Some experts find it curious airlines would reverse the generosity now,
given the continued reluctance of many people to fly. "I don't know that
this is the right time to be messing with your programs," says
frequent-flier analyst Randy Petersen.
   But other analysts say the post-Sept. 11 crisis has forced airlines to
re-examine everything from their pricing structures to their route maps in
an effort to return to profitability. Changing award programs to limit
free flights, some experts say, is another part of that turnaround effort.
"If you're going to do it, now is a good time," says Ray Neidl, an analyst
at ABN Amro Securities.
   What's more, though air travel is still off, it's slowly recovering. "In
October, airlines were saying `We're going to have empty seats anyhow, so
let's give them away,' " says Goldman Sachs analyst Glenn Engel. But now,
"you don't want to be giving away seats when supply and demand are already
tight."
   To be sure, this isn't the first time frequent fliers have complained
about the difficulty of redeeming miles. In 2000, the miles earned by
frequent fliers rose nearly 12 percent, while those they actually redeemed
fell 2.5 percent, according to Webflyer.com. Internet sites are filled
with postings from frequent travelers fuming over the recent moves --
Continental's new mileage requirement, for example, provoked a flood of
messages on FlyerTalk.com.
   But Northwest, Continental and American say they are trying to make thin=
gs
simpler for fliers, and are cutting discounts or provisions few people
used anyway. Some of the discounts aren't needed from a "competitive
standpoint," says Continental. And some changes clearly benefit travelers:
Delta is temporarily offering double miles to give fliers a chance to beef
up their accounts. US Airways says fliers have more opportunities for
upgrades than in the past. And blackout dates are disappearing.
   Some fliers, however, contend that cutting those blackouts on a few peak
travel days isn't much of a perk, particularly if you have to pony up more
miles to fly most of the year now. "Those dates are going to be very hard
to get free trips on anyway," says Pankaj Gupta, a computer executive in
Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and frequent flier on Northwest.
   What to do? Act fast -- not all the restrictions take effect immediately.
And some fliers are simply changing loyalties. Eager for coveted frequent
fliers, some airlines will start you off as an "elite" flier just for
promising your future business. That classification gives you preference
in upgrades, among other benefits. So, fed up with the recent changes at
Continental, Jon Posner bolted. The New York real-estate manager gave
American proof of his "platinum" frequent-flier status with Continental --
and now has "gold" status on American. "I'm done with OnePass," he says of
Continental's program.

=20
Copyright 2002 AP