NYTimes.com Article: United Airlines' Loss for 2001 Breaks Record

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Share the spirit with a gift from Starbucks.
Our coffee brewers & espresso machines at
special holiday prices.
http://www.starbucks.com/shop/subcategory.asp?category_name=Sale/Clearance&ci=274&cookie_test=1

United Airlines' Loss for 2001 Breaks Record

February 2, 2002

By LAURENCE ZUCKERMAN

United Airlines said yesterday that it lost $308 million in
the fourth quarter, resulting in an annual loss in 2001 of
$2.1 billion, the largest ever by a single carrier.

United, like the rest of the airline industry, experienced
a drop in passenger traffic after the Sept. 11 terrorist
attacks. Revenue during the quarter declined 39 percent, to
$2.95 billion from $4.79 billion in the period a year
earlier, as the airline cut its capacity 20 percent.

The quarterly loss, which was equal to $5.68 a share, was
reduced by two one-time gains totaling $332 million after
taxes. The gains were from federal aid and the proceeds of
the sale of United's stake in the Galileo computer
reservation system.

Without the special items, the UAL Corporation
(news/quote), United's parent, lost $640 million, or $11.74
a share, during the quarter. In the period a year earlier,
it lost $71 million, or $1.40 a share. Still, the loss in
the most recent quarter was narrower than the loss of
$14.96 a share that analysts had expected, according to
Thomson Financial/First Call.

The loss was reduced by lower costs, particularly for
salaries, fuel, travel agency commissions and aircraft
maintenance.

Following the lead of other carriers, which have begun
cautiously adding back capacity after the cuts in
September, United said it would add 127 daily flights by
April. But its overall capacity cuts will remain deeper
than those at most of its competitors.

"While our financial results this quarter reflect a decline
in both business and leisure travel," John W. Creighton
Jr., the chief executive of UAL, said in a statement,
"during the fourth quarter we saw signs that air travel is
slowly beginning to recover."

Still, the company predicted a "significant loss" for the
current quarter. And although carriers like Continental
Airlines (news/quote) and Delta Air Lines (news/quote) have
said they will be profitable later this year, United was
unwilling to make a similar forecast.

United was already hurt worse than other carriers by the
downturn in business travel that had begun before Sept. 11.
Now, with the industry in its worst crisis ever, some
experts are convinced that United will be forced to
restructure under bankruptcy protection. But others say the
carrier will be able to turn itself around without
court-supervised reorganization.

Mr. Creighton, who was drafted from the UAL board to run
the company in October after his predecessor resigned under
pressure, is seeking concessions from employees worth
several billion dollars over several years. Employees hold
about 55 percent of UAL stock, which they received for
concessions in 1994.

Talks with the unions have been delayed by contract
negotiations between the airline and the International
Association of Machinists, which represents 15,000
mechanics and 30,000 ground workers.

The mechanics are scheduled to vote on a proposed
settlement later this month. If the agreement is ratified,
it will speed up the negotiations over concessions,
Frederic F. Brace, the chief financial officer at UAL, told
analysts yesterday.

Labor accounts for 38 percent of the airline's expenses,
the company said. Mr. Brace said that in addition to
employee concessions, the airline's financial recovery plan
would require a new injection of cash. He raised the
possibility that United would apply for a federal loan
guarantee under a $10 billion program enacted after the
attacks.

United has cut its budget for capital expenditures by 50
percent this year, to $1.2 billion, and has no plans to buy
new aircraft next year. It had $2.6 billion in cash at the
end of the year and was losing an average of $10 million a
day during the quarter. But in December it lost less cash
than in December 2000, Mr. Brace said, a fact that analysts
found encouraging.

Mr. Brace deflected questions about a possible bankruptcy
filing, saying that the airline was focusing on its
recovery plan.

"We recognize we need to turn the situation around," he
said. "But here at United we are fortunate to have
significant assets and liquidity that will provide us the
time necessary to put our cost structure right."

Shares of UAL fell $1.27 yesterday, to $13.43. On Sept. 10,
the day before the attacks, they closed at $30.82, and they
fell as low as $10.33 on Nov. 12.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/02/business/02AIR.html?ex=1013697534&ei=1&en=587ad5e54e0c1664

HOW TO ADVERTISE
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson
Racer at alyson@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company