NYTimes.com Article: A Dutch Touch in Flying (Right Down to the Flies)

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Share the spirit with a gift from Starbucks.
Our coffee brewers & espresso machines at
special holiday prices.
http://www.starbucks.com/shop/subcategory.asp?category_name=Sale/Clearance&ci=274&cookie_test=1

A Dutch Touch in Flying (Right Down to the Flies)

January 23, 2002

By JOHN KIFNER

VICTOR VAN DER CHIJS began his first board meeting at the
new International Arrivals Building at Kennedy Airport
promptly at 9 a.m. on Sept. 11. The meeting ended at 9:10.

"It was incredible," he remembered. "My reaction was
disbelief - `this cannot be true.' "

As he stared at the smoke pouring from the ruined skyline
of Lower Manhattan, a mechanical voice oddly repeated every
15 minutes over the public address system: "Terminal 4
J.F.K. is a nonsmoking area."

The building had been open for only four months and there
were still no television sets anywhere, so workers turned
to a radio to find out what was happening.

"It changed my world quite a bit," said Mr. van der Chijs
(it rhymes with wise), whose formal title is president and
chief executive of Schiphol USA, making him, among other
things, the boss of the new $1.4 billion terminal, which is
the cornerstone of a $10.3 billion revitalization program
under way at the airport. It is the first air terminal in
the United States to be built, developed and managed by a
private corporation, a subsidiary of Schiphol Group, the
operator of the Amsterdam airport, and the only terminal in
the United States that is operated by an entity other than
an airline or a government agency.

A tall, slim man of 42 - he keeps trim running and bicycle
racing - attired in an elegant double breasted gray
pinstripe suit, Mr. van der Chijs studied law in his native
Amsterdam (he conducts business in Dutch on a tiny
cellphone), and was a banker in Hong Kong before joining
Schiphol, which has an international business in airport
management and real estate. The new terminal is the
company's beachhead in America, but he finds himself in a
somewhat different world than he had imagined.

First, of course, business fell off drastically. The
terminal is designed to handle six million passengers a
year, but in the immediate aftermath of the attack,
business dropped to about 25 percent of normal. It has been
slowly building back up, he said, to about three-quarters
of the usual volume. "We are hurting," he said.

Then there is the issue of security and new federally
mandated baggage inspections that many people fear will
make air travel even more of a nightmare. No one, however,
wants to get on a plane with someone wearing exploding
sneakers.

In terms of security, the new Terminal 4 is pretty much
state of the art. It already has three of the big CTX
baggage-screening machines, which cost $1 million each and
are the size of a small car, with built-in
explosive-sniffing technology - machines that are to be
required in all airports by Dec. 31. (There may be quite a
scramble, Mr. van der Chijs observed, because factories are
now able to turn out only about 85 a year.) There is also a
computerized system that connects each piece of checked
luggage with a passenger's boarding pass. If a passenger
does not get on the airplane, the baggage can be quickly
located and removed. No passenger, he said proudly, has to
wait more than 15 minutes to get through security checks,
while in some airports there have been lines lasting for
two or three hours. But Terminal 4 does not yet have Mr.
van der Chijs's favorite device, iris-identifying equipment
that is used in some places in Europe, which uses a
person's eyeball to verify identity.

It does, however, have illuminated signs picturing things
passengers are not allowed to carry on: golf clubs, pool
cues, hockey sticks, ski poles and corkscrews.

"This terminal is probably safer than a city," said Mr. van
der Chijs, who likes to think of airports as small cities
in themselves.

OF course, the new terminal was designed long before Sept.
11 made fear such a part of flying. A lot of what went into
building Terminal 4 came from lessons learned at Schiphol
Airport in Amsterdam, a famously passenger-friendly
agglomeration of shops, restaurants, bars and hotels.

"We want to look at it through the eyes of the passenger,"
Mr. van der Chijs said. "There should be lots of daylight,
an open feeling. We have a lot of art. We use our airport
knowledge. The airport should be a pleasant place to stay.
Especially now, when people may be staying longer."

So there are glass walls, flooding the building with
sunlight. There are wide aisles around the counters of the
40 airlines, from Aer Lingus to World, using the terminal.
The concourse with shops and restaurants is before the
security checks, so it is open to friends and relatives
accompanying passengers, encouraging them to linger. The
artwork includes Alexander Calder's "Flight" mobile from
the old International Arrivals Building, (whose last
remnants are still being gobbled up by backhoes outside the
windows) and ceramic bas-relief sculptures above the
immigration booths depicting New York City street scenes,
including Black Israelites haranguing people in Times
Square.

"Let me show you something else we learned from Schiphol,"
said Mr. van der Chijs, an impish bad-boy grin breaking his
strait-laced demeanor, leading a visitor into the men's
room.

On each of the urinals, a black fly had been stenciled
several inches above the drain.

"This saves you a lot of cleaning," he said happily. "The
male nature is to want to aim at something."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/23/nyregion/23PROF.html?ex=1012844252&ei=1&en=1ad991f93a7bd4da

HOW TO ADVERTISE
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson
Racer at alyson@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company