Re: Air Canada Provides Important Information for U.S. Bound Passengers

Isn't this really rather idiotic? First of all, why the press release? This
is something that is carried out by check-in agents, no input should be
needed from the passenger in 90% of cases. Secondly, why is this being
collected on Canadian flights at all? U.S. Customs do not meat passengers
upon arrival in the U.S., so advance word from the aircraft is moot. That is
all carried out on the ground in Canada before passengers get near the
aircraft. The idea - a good one, I suppose - behind APIS is that our
authorities will have an idea who is showing up in the country before they
get here so they can get an idea who to look at before the last minute
(i.e., a line 300 people long forming, though not a problem much with
transborder flights operated with small aircraft - my last Canada->U.S.
flight had three passengers). Canadian passengers are screened long before.
Can't pre-clearance officials glean this information themselves or do Air
Canada officials actually have to create the record and then send it 100
feet away to the inspection area?

Evan McElravy
emcelr@po-box.mcgill.ca
http://users.penn.com/~cpa1/