Re: AT_MTIME_DELAY not working?

On 2023-12-22 09:28, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023, at 10:07 PM, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
[...]
>> I suggest revising AT_MTIME_DELAY to actually create two files and
>> loop touching one of them until the timestamps differ.
>
> This won’t work, because whether *test* thinks two timestamps differ
> may be different from whether *autom4te* thinks two timestamps differ
> (due to the whole mess with Time::HiRes not necessarily being
> available, timestamps getting rounded to the nearest IEEE double,
> etc).  Also, test -nt isn’t portable, we’d have to do the same
> mess with ls -t that’s in the code setting at_ts_resolution.

Since for the purpose of testing autom4te behaviour one should be able
to assume autom4te is available, a solution for this issue would be to
simply add a mechanism to autom4te (or find a creative way to do it
with existing autom4te) which compares two file timestamps, and use
that in the loop.

Cheers,
  Nick