Re: [cfarm-users] Missing "make" on gcc210 or gcc211.fsffrance.org / or wrong autoconf - any idea?

Paul Eggert via cfarm-users <cfarm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>No, on traditional Solaris 10, traditional 'make' is /usr/ccs/bin/make (part
>of the SUNWsprot package) or /usr/xpg4/bin/make (part of the SUNWxcu4t
>package). They are identical executables. Although neither is required as
>part of operating system core, both are routinely installed on any platform
>intended for software development.

Solaris, an OS named after the 1972 Andrei Tarkovsky film about a space
station that drives people who work there mad, has always been pretty special
about how it handles build tools.  I don't know how current this still is but
there used to be an always-available cc at /usr/ucb/cc which wasn't actually a
compiler but just a script that looks for a real compiler elsewhere.  If the
Sun compiler is installed, this will be via a link /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc which in
turn points to /opt/SUNWspro. If not, it bailed out with a "package not
installed" error.  Their default make was also pretty, um, special.  The build
script I use has all sorts of hacks to deal with this mess, which seems to be
built around the assumption that only Sun tools exist and if they're not
present the only thing you'd possibly want to do is install Sun tools.

Peter.