Re: [Autoconf] Re: Dependency tracking not working on macOS

On Mon, 2022-10-17 at 14:11 +0900, suzuki toshiya wrote:
> On my macOS 21 (Monterey), /usr/bin/make is GNU make 3.81

I don't follow MacOS so I can't say what the differences are between
different versions.  However, be aware that this is NOT standard GNU
make 3.81 as provided by GNU.  This instance of GNU make has some kind
of changes added by Apple.  I don't know the details but in the past
I've had problems reported with this version of GNU make which we could
not reproduce using standard GNU make 3.81.

Apple will never ship a newer version than this, because starting with
GNU make 3.82 we switched to using GPLv3.  So if you want a newer
version of GNU make, ever, you'll have to get it elsewhere.

> maybe the users have to consider to use homebrew or something like
> that, although I don't know manual installation of newer GNU make to
> /usr/bin has a harmful impact...

I'm no expert but I'm confident that neither MacPorts nor Homebrew
overwrite utilities in /usr/bin.  Instead, you need to set your PATH
properly to choose the one you want.