Dependency tracking not working on macOS

Hi autoconf community,
I am updating an Autotool-based code, that was for a couple of years unmaintained. I first fixed all issues with Debian and Ubuntu, then I fixed the macOS issues. Thanks to GitLab.com, I got a CI runner with macOS and using autoconf from homebrew.
Unfortunately, I am facing in issue with dependency tracking:

config.status: error: in `/Users/gitlab/builds/alberta-fem/alberta3':
config.status: error: Something went wrong bootstrapping makefile fragments
    for automatic dependency tracking.  If GNU make was not used, consider
    re-running the configure script with MAKE="gmake" (or whatever is
    necessary).  You can also try re-running configure with the
    '--disable-dependency-tracking' option to at least be able to build
    the package (albeit without support for automatic dependency tracking).
See `config.log' for more details

In config.log I see a couple of similar errors:

config.status:1976: cd alberta_util/src       && sed -e '/# am--include-marker/d' Makefile         | make -f - am--depfiles
make: *** fopen (temporary file): No such file or directory.  Stop.
config.status:1981: $? = 2
config.status:1976: cd add_ons/libalbas/src       && sed -e '/# am--include-marker/d' Makefile         | make -f - am--depfiles
make: *** fopen (temporary file): No such file or directory.  Stop.
config.status:1981: $? = 2

The error message is not useful, I am using GNU make from homebrew. Any hints what I am doing wrong? I introduced the error, but bisecting is a difficult task, as it did not work on macOS for dozens of commits. But it has to do with some of my changes and only occurs on macOS.

Complete output and config.log:
https://gitlab.com/alberta-fem/alberta3/-/jobs/3147136437

Complete configure.ac and all other code:
https://gitlab.com/alberta-fem/alberta3/-/blob/feature/dependency-tracking-macos/configure.ac

Bye
Christoph

--
L'enjeu est de bâtir la France de nos enfants,
pas de ressasser la France de notre enfance.