Re: config.sub/config.guess using nonportable $(...) substitutions

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021, Nick Bowler wrote:

These scripts using $(...) are incorporated into the recently-released
Automake 1.16.3, which means they get copied into packages bootstrapped
with this version.  So now, if I create a package using the latest bits,
configuring with heirloom-sh fails:

This is bad and has immediate impact (and now already existing due to including in releases) to some projects. Due to Autotools sometimes taking a long time between releases, some projects (including two I make releases for) update these scripts as part of their normal release process.

It is assumed that the scripts will remain portable to almost any system.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/