Re: config.sub/config.guess using nonportable $(...) substitutions

Hi Dmitry,

    I tried to reach the author of that change [2], but, unfortunately,
    received no response.

Ben's lack of response is no reason not to revert this
unportability. After all, one steps down from maintainership in order
not to spend time thinking about it any more.

Clearly Ben had no technical reason for the change; it only causes problems.

I hope you're willing to revert it. As I've written several times before :).

Thanks,
Karl