Re: Future plans for Autotools

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021, John Calcote wrote:

To be honest if Automake-generated Makefile.in files only worked
for users with, say, sufficiently modern versions of GNU Make, I'm
not sure there would be any point in using Automake.

I'm not sure I see your point Nick. Why use Automake? Because I'd much
rather write
(and maintain) two lines of automake code than even a single page of GNU
make code.

Even more importantly, you already wrote those two lines of Automake code! :-)

The Makefile.am format is a sort of "contract" which is assumed by Automake users.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/