Re: Future plans for Autotools

On 1/25/21 5:37 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
The only thing that would make much of a performance difference, I
think, is if we are able to replace lots of shell invocations with
built-in make functions like wildcard, if, etc.

One other thing could be a significant performance win: if we could use GNU 'make -j' to run most of the guts of the 'configure' script in parallel. Waiting for 'configure' to finish is something that slows me down a lot; often times 'configure' takes longer than the subsequent 'make', simply because 'configure' is inherently sequential.