Re: autoconf-2.69c released [beta]

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, Zack Weinberg wrote:

In particular, the AC_*_IFELSE macros have been available since
version 2.55, which was released in 2002(!)

Well, this configure script was first implemented in 1996 to replace something called 'imake'. I am sure that there must be many more things to improve in it since (given an existing huge work-load) I don't actively re-visit the Autoconf documentation and the script to see what should be changed to modernize it. I do know that it should have a lot more quoting.

Under OpenIndiana I still get 6 test failures.

Are these test failures of GraphicsMagick's test suite, or of
autoconf's own test suite?  I don't have access to an OpenIndiana
system but I would still be interested in more detail.  If it's
autoconf's own testsuite, a tarball of `tests/testsuite.dir` in the
build tree is usually enough information for me to figure out what's
wrong.

These are Autoconf test suite failures. You should still have access to an OpenIndiana system since I see that you last accessed my OpenIndiana system on August 4th!. Access for yourself and Paul Eggert has not been taken away.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/