Re: autoconf-2.69c released [beta]

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 2:03 PM Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today I am trying autoconf-2.69c with GraphicsMagick's configure.ac
> and am only encountering utter failure.

It sounds like you already got a bunch of help and most of the
problems are resolved.  I just want to add a few notes:

- As other people have said, the result of running `autoupdate` is not
meant to be used as-is.  There are many cases where it can't
completely modernize the code, many problems it can't fix (e.g.
problems with quotation), and situations where it produces code that's
just plain wrong (e.g. when an obsolete macro is used via AC_REQUIRE).
It's meant to be a starting point only.

- autoupdate puts AC_PREREQ([its own version]) in the script because
it doesn't know how far back its replacements are good.  However, in
nearly all cases, its suggested replacement will work fine with 2.69.
In fact, the only exception I can think of right now is when it
inserts AC_CHECK_INCLUDES_DEFAULT, and that's a defensive measure that
you may be able to delete or replace with additional uses of
AC_CHECK_HEADERS.

In particular, the AC_*_IFELSE macros have been available since
version 2.55, which was released in 2002(!)

> Under OpenIndiana I still get 6 test failures.

Are these test failures of GraphicsMagick's test suite, or of
autoconf's own test suite?  I don't have access to an OpenIndiana
system but I would still be interested in more detail.  If it's
autoconf's own testsuite, a tarball of `tests/testsuite.dir` in the
build tree is usually enough information for me to figure out what's
wrong.

zw